EF/EL brakes compared to EA/ED - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

EF/EL brakes compared to EA/ED

Hey guys got a couple of quick questions regarding the e-series braking systems.

Just wanted to know the physical difference between ED<- brakes and EF-> brakes? We own both an ED and an EF, and the EF brakes are soo much more responsive than the ED ones, despite the fact that they both have ABS installed. What are the physical differences between both braking systems that makes the EF superior??

I always assumed that the difference between EA and EF brakes was the ABS, but this is only engaged when braking hard anyway isn' it??

Old 05-28-2004, 19:39   #2 (permalink)
EFXR62

Re: EF/EL brakes compared to EA/ED

ABS will be engaged when one wheels erratically spins or loses traction, in which case, the module kicks in and pulsates on the brakes to bring back traction to enable the driver to steer..

Not sure on the difference between the two braking systems, but it can't be that much of a difference..
Old 05-28-2004, 20:15   #3 (permalink)

there shouldnt be much of a difference at all, from ED to EF brakes... the only difference is the all XRs have th bigger V8 Brake Booster. The EL's have a different handbrake mechanism.

MissFairmonts brakes are different to mine, and both are ED's and have ABS. Mine bite pretty quickly, but hers are a little doughy, and then really bite hard. But then again she has Slotted rotors on the front and mine are all stock

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 20:34   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR6_Yagz
ABS will be engaged when one wheels erratically spins
isnt that traction control?
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 20:49   #5 (permalink)
{';'}

Have you had a look to compare the physical differences? It could just be the type of brake pads, the system may need to be bled etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
known as tibbo

the pads are the same on the front, DB1108.. EA-EL but the EF/EL rears are the 1086's(not DB1109 like EA-ED)the 1086's are the same as AU..

It comes down to booster, master cylinders and line pressure and front to rear bias as much as the pads and rotors.. Physically there is little difference, although i think the earlier E series have a steel brake booster not a plastic one like the EF/EL's

this is off the top of my head so i could be wrong :)
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 01:40   #7 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I've hung onto my EL booster, but like a fool I sold the master cylinder. I'm hoping the AU one will fit without dramas. Will be interesting to see if I notice a difference...

You'll notice a significant difference in the ABS systems from ED to EF, as one is Bendix and one Bosch.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:36   #8 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
there shouldnt be much of a difference at all, from ED to EF brakes... the only difference is the all XRs have th bigger V8 Brake Booster. The EL's have a different handbrake mechanism.

MissFairmonts brakes are different to mine, and both are ED's and have ABS. Mine bite pretty quickly, but hers are a little doughy, and then really bite hard. But then again she has Slotted rotors on the front and mine are all stock
Yeah I noticed that when I had it, I had the front calipers rebuilt and I think the rears need to be done but when Rollin and I took them off to do shocks etc. they were seized again, so I kept greasing the bastards up.

You'll find though the pads don't work too wel when they are cold or wet but once warm the haul arse something stupid!! You can feel the slots on the front rotors biting hard too. Hows my old girl going by the way?
Old 05-29-2004, 04:38   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Jack, the booster will fit, i had an AU one on my car.
the main difference between the ED and EF is the rear caliper, the EA/D caliper is Cast Iron and has an integral Park brake.
The EF has an Alloy rear caliper and the park brake is seperate.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:23   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Yeah I noticed that when I had it, I had the front calipers rebuilt and I think the rears need to be done but when Rollin and I took them off to do shocks etc. they were seized again, so I kept greasing the bastards up.

You'll find though the pads don't work too wel when they are cold or wet but once warm the haul arse something stupid!! You can feel the slots on the front rotors biting hard too. Hows my old girl going by the way?

Yea i found that once they warm up they are heaps better...

the Fairmont is going great, hasnt missed a beat, and i dont think will.

How long till you get the Turbo Yoot, Yoot???

94 ED Futura
PROUD TQE OPERATOR
13.822 @ 99.67MPH - Willowbank 05/08/2006
OED666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes