EF W/ ABS, long pedal after pad change - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2004, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

EF W/ ABS, long pedal after pad change

Hi guys

I changed my front pads about a month ago, and since then, the pedal seems to go down further than before. It still has the same braking capacity as before, its just the pedal goes down further before the brakes take affect.

On someones advise, I cracked the bleeder while I pushed the piston back, I was told this can damage the ABS module if you try to force fluid back into it. I've tried bleeding both sides a few times, and t doesnt go away. The pedal doesn't get harder when you pump it, and the ABS still seems to work fine.

Any ideas? It was suggested that there could be air in the ABS module. Can you bleed these? The other thing t could be is just the cheap pads, they're Bendix Excel, cheapies...

Aaron
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2004, 10:23   #2 (permalink)
AU3 Falcon XR8 Ute (auto)

Re: EF W/ ABS, long pedal after pad change

As far as bleeding the ABS modulator, on all cars that I know of the only way is if you have a factory diag. tester which can plug into the diag port and you use a command to initiate a service bleed which cycles the modulator while you hold the brake pedal down (or a different procedure depending on the car) - then you do a normal bleed afterwards.

I would have thought that if it were due to the cheap pads you'd just have to push harder/further on the pedal for the same effect (stopping power) but that wouldn't be what I'd describe as a longer stroke.

All I can think of is maybe on of the pistons on the calipers is returing further back than it should when you release the pedal each time, thus requiring more stroke to engage it again. It's possible something like this could have been triggered when you pushed the pistons back in further than they had been for a while when you changed the pads. This would mean a rebuild/service and maybe repair of one/both calipers. Else maybe an issue with the master cylinder piston(s) with the plunger not opening properly on the return stroke and sucking some fluid back with it or something - that would be more coincidental that it occured after a pad change though maybe.

That's about all I can think of I'm afriad.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:31   #3 (permalink)
5 Litres of Fun

I've had a similar experience. I had Bendix Ultimates in my car and the pedal felt great. Needed to change them and couldn't get Ultimates on the day so I put some Bendix Performax pads in. I swear it felt like the pedal went longer too. It had an awful feeling and the initial bite was soft. Ordered new Ultimates and fitted them, pedal was great again. Still got those damn Performax pads in the shed.
Old 10-08-2004, 22:00   #4 (permalink)
Are we there yet?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Steve_T - I thought that I might have pushed the pistons too far back, but I think it would be hard to do, and i didnt use much pressure to open the pistons, so I hope thats not the problem.

It's good to hear it's probably just the pads. I need new rotors anway, as mine are warped, so it's a good time to go to some better pads.
95 EF Fairmont 5.0 - Heritage Green - 4 Speed auto with AU S5 - 3.23LSD - 17x8" LWT Wheels - King Superlows - 76mm Cobra MAF - 65mm throttle - BPT Underdrive Pulley Kit - 3" Mandrel-bent Lukey exhaust - Tinted Windows - MP3 CD player - White faced dials.

117rwKw - 15.47@89.9MPH
Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes