EL Brake Light Switch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2004, 22:47   #1 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

EL Brake Light Switch

Hi Guys,

Ive got an EL Futura Sapphire here that seems to have a healthy appetite for brake light switches. Since new, the switch has been replaces 3 or 4 times, and i noticed the other day in a window reflection that my lights dont come on until the brake pedal is nearly at the floor.

I know it is the switch, because cruse control doesnt dis-engage when the brakes are pressed until they are close to the foor (as observed the last few times the switch had failed, but it never dis-engaged because the switches had completelly failed).

Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a fix or an aftermarket, stronger switch availible?

Thanks for any help guys...
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2004, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: EL Brake Light Switch

Who replaced the switch? Certainly I don't believe it's the switch itself; I have several friends with ELs which are yet to do this...
Perhaps it's a wiring fault, feeding too much current to it, though I'm pretty sure it gets 12v anyway. Is the bracket with the switch on lined up right?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 16:21   #3 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEB
Who replaced the switch? Certainly I don't believe it's the switch itself; I have several friends with ELs which are yet to do this...
Perhaps it's a wiring fault, feeding too much current to it, though I'm pretty sure it gets 12v anyway. Is the bracket with the switch on lined up right?
Ford replaced the switch the first two times and i did it the last time.

I dont think it is a wiring fault, because it looks like one of the plates on the switch is bending. My dad put a washer in between the plate and the switch actuator to compensate for the bent plate, which i will install today and test tonight.

Im not to sure about the bracket being lined up properly, but i think it is because it works for a few months before failing. I think it is the bent plate, so if this washer trick works, i will look for an aftermarket switch with a stronger plate, or i will get a plate made out of stainless or something...
Old 03-25-2004, 17:41   #4 (permalink)
Formerly ef_ghiaI6

Replaced the switch twice on the ef now... Its the switch under the brake pedal right..
vary from 20 bucks to 50 bucks from ford..
Im not sure if there is anythign better out there to replace it with, im sure there probably is.. Have u checked the warranty for the part, to see if u can have it replaced??
i have seen ppl mount it wrong, with dodgy split pins, and it in turn, fails in the not to far future..
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 18:41   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I'd say the switch adjustment is out, the brake lights should be on almost as soon as you touch the pedal... If it is radically out of alignment/adjustment, potentially you could be damaging the switch, causing the premature failure . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 18:42   #6 (permalink)
Stoked Ford Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_ghiaI6
Replaced the switch twice on the ef now... Its the switch under the brake pedal right..
vary from 20 bucks to 50 bucks from ford..
Im not sure if there is anythign better out there to replace it with, im sure there probably is.. Have u checked the warranty for the part, to see if u can have it replaced??
i have seen ppl mount it wrong, with dodgy split pins, and it in turn, fails in the not to far future..
Yeah, its the switch under the pedal.

I havent checked the warrenty for it, because i wasnt aware there was one on parts (consumables in this case? )...

I havent mounted it wrong, because i followed the procedure outlined in the ford factory service manuals for the car, using the original split pins and everything.
Old 03-25-2004, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Formerly ef_ghiaI6

yeah i wasnt sure if the part had a warranty or not. I would say it wouldnt.. but yeah, ive never asked b4.

well if it is fitted correctly, the only other thing *could* be alignment, .. as i said b4, ive had mine replaced twice, before noticing it was done dodgy.. after replacing with the right split pins, its hasnt failed yet.
*touch wood*
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes