EL GT Wheels On EBII - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 22:59   #1 (permalink)

EL GT Wheels On EBII

I've recently purchased a 92 EBII Fairmont Ghia with the EL wheels, I looked on the fpv site and found that they are 17x8.5, is this correct, I'll measure later. When i went to VicRoads they said the car had a canary a few months back because of wheel width or something. The car has a roadworth and is now transferred into my name. So the question is how wide can the rims be on an EB, I don't want the police harrassing me thats all.

Thanks
Ben
Benji2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: EL GT Wheels On EBII

Genuine GT wheels are 8.5" wide though copies I believe are 8" wide.

Non-GT E-series cars only legal at 8" and only then provided offsets correct so track stays within limits (factory optional 7" wide + 1").

Even though they are the same basic car in the eyes of the law your EBII Fairmont Ghia will be illegal with 8.5" wheels.
Old 09-12-2004, 23:43   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Original EL GT wheels i thought where 17 x 8" at the front and 17 x 8.5" at the rear, copies are 17x 8" only, the centre caps are also smaller, silver and do not carry a ford logo, but can be machined to allow original style caps to be fitted.

EL GT only came in champagne I belive, but copies are avaliable in a few different colours, check ssv.com.au they have them.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:25   #4 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

ELGT where 17x8.5 Dellboy.
Most insuranse companies wont touch you with them on your car unlsee its a GT.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

I thought it would be legal to fit 8.5" wheels to any EB (GLi - Ghia) because the EB GT had 17x8.5, therefore it is a factory size for that model series and fully legal.
Am I wrong?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

It is legal, but try and get insurance, thats the hard part.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 22:21   #7 (permalink)

Yes Insurance, I got it but only for the wrong reasons, i thought the width was 7.5 and thats what I told them, oh well hope for the best. Also how do I tell if they are fake. I'm gonna measure them and let you know.

Ben
Old 09-13-2004, 22:26   #8 (permalink)

Stupid Metric Rulers, it is around 21-22 cm i think, which is think works out to be roughly 8.5 wide, they have the tickford symbol in the middle, does this mean they are genuine.

Thanks for your advice and help
Ben
Old 09-14-2004, 09:48   #9 (permalink)
AUTS50 #012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Kiss
I thought it would be legal to fit 8.5" wheels to any EB (GLi - Ghia) because the EB GT had 17x8.5, therefore it is a factory size for that model series and fully legal.
Am I wrong?
No you are 100% right. EB can go upto 9" width and 19" tall because the EBGT came with 17"x8" factory fitted. Here's the ruling on wheels from VicRoads.

Quote:
WHEELS AND TYRES

Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted provided that they comply with the following requirements:

The width of any replacement rim must not be:

*more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or
*less than the width of the narrowest rim specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.
Rims, which have been widened, must have no more than one peripheral weld. All welding must be carried out in accordance with recognised engineering standards, and the rims must comply in all respects with specifications contained in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia.

The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

*more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or
*more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.
Rim and tyre combinations must be in accordance with the recommendations contained in the Tyre and Rim Standards Manual published by the Tyre and Rim Association of Australia and have a load and speed rating equal to or better than that required by the standards for registration.
The wheels and tyres must not foul any part of the body, suspension, steering or brake components at any position of the suspension travel or steering movement and, when in the straight ahead position, the guard or bodywork of the vehicle must cover the section width of the tyre.

Note: The section width of a tyre is the distance between the outsides of the sidewalls of an inflated tyre excluding any markings, bands or ribs.

The maximum allowable track increase is:

*in the case of a front axle-25 mm;
*in the case of a rear axle with independent suspension-25 mm;
*in the case of other rear axles-50 mm; and
*in the case of a motor vehicle manufactured with a combination of front wheel drive, McPherson strut front suspension and negative scrub radius steering geometry, no increase in wheel track is permitted unless specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
*in the case of a motor vehicle fitted with a diagonally split braking system (i.e. one front wheel and opposite rear wheel on same hydraulic circuit), no change in the wheel track dimension is permitted.

Spacers between the wheel and hub are not permitted unless provided by the vehicle manufacturer as original equipment.

Wheel nuts must engage the thread of the wheel stud for at least the same length as the original wheel nut and have the same taper as the mating wheel stud hole.

The stud pattern of the replacement wheel must be the same as the original. Re-drilling wheels, hubs, drums, discs or axle flanges is not permitted. Wheels with slotted stud holes are not permitted.

Aluminium alloy wheels (mags) are acceptable provided they meet the above requirements and are legibly and durably marked to show compliance with one of the following standards:

*AS 1638 Australian Standard
*DOT Department of Transport USA
*JWLT Japanese Light Alloy Wheel Truck and Bus
*JWLT Japanese Light Alloy Wheel
*JIS Japanese Industry Standard
*KBA German TUV Certification
*VIA Vehicle Inspection Association Japan

Repaired or damaged alloy wheels are not acceptable.
012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 16:53   #10 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Note the term
Quote:
....for that model....
in the post above by AUGZMK.

Now you and I know that EB Fairmont and EL GT have the same basic structure and suspension design but I don't think you'll successfully argue that with the authorities.

Especially as they can easily show that EL GT and EB Fairmont have different front suspension uprights with different part numbers (if only to allow fitment of different brakes).

What AUGZMK has stated applies to EL GTs but not necessarily any other E-series models as much as we'd all like it too.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes