Ford Forums banner

Experience with wide tyres? Please help me.

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  PHIL82 
G
#1 ·
My two front tyres are absolutely bald... it's wonderful how the law enforcers haven't noticed my tyres for a long 6 months! Better fix it up before I have an aciddent in the rain or get a penalty.

I have 15 x 7 inch mags with 225/60/15 sized Yokohama rubber all-round with 5-10 % tread (Very bad, I know!)

I intend to get 235/60/15's for the front and 255/60/15's for the rear, 'RoadHugger' tyre brand ($650-700 altogether). Reputable aftermarket tyres with the Falcons. Can 235 and 255 mm wide tyres be 'SQUEEZED' on 7 inch mags? Is that a bad thing or not? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

The correct mag/rim size for 235mm is the 7.5 inch wheel and for 255mm is the 8.5 inch wheel.

G
#4 ·
Re: Mag Wheels

when I owned an XD I had ef fairmont rims on it with 215/55 f
235/50 rear and rear tyres sort of acted like ballons they had
too much side wall movement making arse end feel loose
under hard cornering!!
but this all goes down to personal preferences aswell!!!

nah man becaues it was a 7inch rim with 8 inch tyre not designed
for that shit.. It maybe different with the lower profiles
(less than 45s)tyres were eagers 235/50

G
#5 ·
wide tyres.

Hey Swoopa

Never knew if a rear tyre was much more wider than the front tyres, they act as balloons. Interesting theory.

I have always thought wider rear tyres give maximum performance at takeoff's and at hard cornering. I guess I am wrong.

Ford Falcons look awesome with the widest possible tyre that can fit with lowered suspension.

G
#6 ·
wide tyres.

Hey Swoopa

I never knew if a rear tyre was much more wider than the front tyres, they act as balloons. Interesting theory. I see all those Ferrari's and Lamborighini's with like... size 300mm rear tyres!

I have always thought wider rear tyres give maximum performance at takeoff's and at hard cornering. I guess I am wrong.

Ford Falcons look awesome with the widest possible tyre that can fit with lowered suspension.

I am saving money for an EL Falcon XR6 (I'm not a fan of the XR:cool: Do you suggest I just go pick up some 15 x 6 EA rims and/or pursuit rims and buy 4 brand new 205/65/15 size tyres? They look good with 1.5 inch lowered suspension.

I hear people buy top nick EA's with standard wheels. Is this correct? (Avoiding the idea that the previous driver was a hard driver)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.