experiences with skinny front tyres.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-17-04, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
experiences with skinny front tyres....

hi all i was wondering what experiences you all have had with skinny tyres on your cars i.e. 15x3.5 or 15x4.0 size rims with those little pizza cutter tyres on them,with regards to handling and drag strip use.

the ONE thing i know for sure is: no matter how big and nasty YOUR CAR is, someone always has one thats BIGGER and NASTIER. build a bridge and get over it i did.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-20-04, 07:29 AM
Re: experiences with skinny front tyres....

The idea behind the old front runner was to decrease wind and rolling resistance to enable minimal drag on the car for maximum acceleration. I have a pro-street valiant (15x12 & 15x3.5) and the steering actually turned out heavier than with the standard (wider) front wheels/tyres...
Braking, and all that is fine, but dont throw it into any fast corners or anything and try to avoid emergency stops!! Our cars 'aint the best handling things out there... If you have a spooled or locked diff be wary of putting front runners on the street as they tend to make cars (heavier ones especially) bulldoze a bit and you'll fall right off the corner. Hope this has given you some insight...
Oh, and make sure you have radials front and rear or cross-plys front and rear. NOT a mixture of the two. Ever see those funny cars wiggle left to right after doing a burnout? A similar thing happens (at speed too) when cross plys are on the back and radials on the front or vice versa.. I learnt that one the hard way...
Sponsored Links

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts