Factory Brembos on T3 T series- aftermarket alternatives - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 17:26   #1 (permalink)

Factory Brembos on T3 T series- aftermarket alternatives

Was curious on whether anyone had any suggestions once the factory Brembos were in need of some replacement components. The story with mine so far is that I got 40,000km out of the front pads. Ford wanted $950 for a set of front pads- so I found a set of Ferodo's for $345. The problem was, come time to change the pads, the rotors were down to 30mm (min thickness) so couldn't be skimmed (or surface ground- which is better). Ford then wanted $930 for each front rotor, so I just put the pads on anyway without skimming etc, which took a couple of weeks to bed in properly.Now at 65,000km the back ones are lunched too. Everything needs to be replaced now.

DBA 5000 two piece slotted rotors seem to be the go- at $500 each they are heaps cheaper- are these slotted rotors better than the factory cross-drilled Brembo rotor which you can buy elsewhere (genuine) for around the $600 mark? After talking to people in the race scene there any many different views on this- most reputable manufacturers steer clear of cross-drilled due to the tendancy to crack- look at most huge brakes and they are directionally slotted and not cross-drilled. Apparently on most motorbikes and luxury sport cars cross-drilled is the preferred and accepted due to the more cosmetic appeal they have. The rear rotors from DBA are 4000 one piece slotted rotors at around $350 each. Front Ferodos at $345 and rears at $210 seems to be better than Fords. Incidentally, the replacement rotor part of the two piece 5000 series only cost $580 for the front pair.

After professional advice here- it is a great car- that is driven everyday- so economics will play a part but I do not want to detract from what the car has fitted from factory- will there be any forseeable gains by going this way? Has anyone looked into this at all? Does anyone know of any other options, done anything else??
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2004, 03:09   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: Factory Brembos on T3 T series- aftermarket alternatives

Worth a call to Herrods - I know they have the Texar TX4400 pads for the Brembos at substantially less than Ford want for them - same with the rotors.

Might be worth trying to stick with the factory setup if you can.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 00:16   #3 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Dont panic mate, ring Barry Smith Motorsport in the ACT , He is the Brembo importer he'll fixit, I think the pads were somthing like $220 A SET , and the Brembo roters were about $500 each, remember this is only off the top of my head and could be a bit out, but It should still only be less than $1300 for the lot.. Hopes this helps....
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I think if you to went another rotor you are not realy going away from the original product or away from Brembo..I"m sure Brembo didn't make the original rotors anyway..Ford subby out this sort of work...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I think if you to went another rotor you are not realy going away from the original product or away from Brembo..I"m sure Brembo didn't make the original rotors anyway..Ford subby out this sort of work...
Just to clear up the inaccuracy: the T3 front rotors are Brembo units while the rears are a DBA unit with a Brembo caliper.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:12   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yea.. When we went to DBA a few years back..They where making them there..You wouln't know the difference...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:38   #7 (permalink)

cool Re: Factory Brembos on T3 T series- aftermarket alternatives

you can get the original equip Textar 4000 brake pads from Barrie Smith motorsport in Canberra for about $300 set. He does original equip brembo rotors for around $500 for the front & 300 for rear.
tofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes