FAIRLANE GHIA v8 96 BRAKE LIGHTS FAULTY - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 02:57   #1 (permalink)

FAIRLANE GHIA v8 96 BRAKE LIGHTS FAULTY

Dont know if anyone can help, but we have borred a friends V8 96 Fairlane. RACV (Australian Road Side Assist) came out and had a look and said the little switch under the break pedal gives grief and is a problem with this Fairlane. Can
anyone enlighten me on what we have to do to fix it - and if there is any chance we could do it ourselves. We have no breaklights at the moment. Its a real pain as I sit here waiting for our Ford Escape to make its way off the ship....

Should we just go to the Ford Dealership and deal with the cost?

Many thanks
caffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2004, 03:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: FAIRLANE GHIA v8 96 BRAKE LIGHTS FAULTY

i can answer this one the brake light switch is stuffed its common on nf-ef and el its not hard to change its more awkward than anything ive done 2 so far on the old car its located on the top of the brake pedal you need to remove the clevis pin and slide the brake lever slightly sidewards to take it out and install just make sure that the pin goes all the way home when you put it back in as for cost about 20 dollars genuine cheers greg
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 03:33   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

it is quiet easy, get a switch from Supercheap etc, climb under and remove the pin, unplug it, plug the new one back in and push the pin back in

The only is trick is to look at where the little green bush goes before you remove the old one
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 00:25   #4 (permalink)
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!

There is a good demonstration of it here :
Replace Brake Light Switch

I've done it and its not too hard
Old 05-30-2004, 04:11   #5 (permalink)
Swanny

I had a similar problem with my EL Falcon, the brake lights would only come on if you pushed the pedal through the floor! My last reaction would have been to replace the brake switch (after being charged 43.20 for a 20 cent nylon gear 10 yrs ago!) and I looked at how the brake switch works.

The switch doesn't have much play in it, so if you tap the pedal, it activates the switch, and makes the lights go on. After a few hundred thousand k's, the metal parts connecting the switch to the pedal wear a wee bit thin, and it takes more pedal movement to turn on the brake lights.

I took a 2cm length of cheap "stanley knife" (thin plastic cheap kind you always have somewhere) and placed it with a smear of silastic between the pedal and the switch. This packs up the switch from the pedal, and if I sneeze at the brake pedal, the lights come on.
ELwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes