Ford Forums banner

Faulty Brake Lamp switch on EF

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  XR_Strider_GuY 
#1 ·
Hi guys.
My brake lamps have stopped working because of the Brake light switch, mounted on the Brake pedal.
The switch seems to work, but the way it is mounted on the brake pedal is very very loose.
It seems like the thing is almost going to fall off.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with these switches, or if anyone knows how these things should be mounted properly.

(I tried checking the EF workshop manual, and it has nothing on the brake switch !)

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Cheers
Matt

#2 ·
Matt, it mounts onto the pin on the pedal. It actually works by the movement in arm from the booster on the pedal to switch on. The swtich will still work, but because it only moves ever so slightly when intalled properly the contacts inside burn. You can get replacement ones from bursons now, it's very common....

#4 ·
Bugger !
I am not impressed !
Oh well, does anyone know huch much these blighters are from Ford.

Jase_ELXR8 - I have never heard of Bursons ? Is that some sort of dealer, or someone like Super Cheap/Repco

Anyway, Thankyou for your help !
Looks like Ill be going to City Ford Tommorow Morning to get myself a new switch, (and a few other things)

Cheers
Matt

#6 ·
Also had mine replaced under warranty on my Nf2

Didnt even notice it wasnt working either.

only symptom was sometimes the cruse control would take a second or two disengage when foot put on the brakes.

been replaced also on my brothers AU to, looks like its still not been solved

maybe they should have a brake light relay, rather than having them switched by the pedal switch, or is it allready like that ?

#7 ·
I just replaced mine about 2 months ago, I think that the switch was around $20 - $25 from the dealer and I fitted it myself, took about 10 minutes and i'm not great at working on cars. Saved about $20 for an autoelectrician to do the job.

Stephen

#8 ·
Fairlane Boy said:
Didnt even notice it wasnt working either.
only symptom was sometimes the cruse control would take a second or two disengage when foot put on the brakes.
Yep, same here on my EF Ghia and my brothers EL Fairmont.
I didn't even realise that I had no brake lights. All I knew is that I really had to mash the brake pedal hard to switch off the cruise.
Russell.

#9 ·
Yeap yeap, got mine replaced around the 130k mark. Seems to still be working on mine now. Costed something like $30 fitted.

Seems there a pretty crap design. Looks like the switch on the EL is about to go as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.