Finally - I've got wheels again! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2003, 03:15   #1 (permalink)

biggrin Finally - I've got wheels again!

Well, if anyone has notice my occassional post on these forums, then they might be aware that I have been after a car for awhile. Finally closed a deal today - and once again I have a set of wheels.

It's a 92 EB Series II Fairmont - in absolutely shmicko condition - I have not seen one this good. Touch wood...I hope I don't find anything major wrong with it. It was absolutely marvellous driving the 130 or so km home in it.

I probably should join the club now ;o)

By the way...how does the smartlock work in these things? Is it something in the key or what? I notice that it seems to disable the smartlock when I turn the key.

Damien
damienpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2003, 04:14   #2 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

confused

Hi Damien,

I'm a newbie to the club: I got my EB ghia on xmas eve. I found that the keys can unlock the car when I use the immobiliser, but the engine won't start & the alarm goes off if you try to start the ignition. I'm not sure if my EB (it's a 91 model series 1) has Smartlock or if it's some other system, but the mechanic who came to pick up my car from work with my spare key (minus immobiliser) got a rude shock when the alarm went off!

I found that if you lock the car with your keys, you can unlock it with just your keys & start the engine.

I can't believe I've already done 2000km in it! Lotsa fuel :(

Then again, it uses less fuel than my 5 speed 3.3 XE LOL!

Have a good one mate, & happy driving for the future.

-Dave-
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:19   #3 (permalink)

Ta Ghia5L...

The Smartlock came out, I think, in the month this car was built (October) or thereabouts.

I didn't get any module or anything with the car...just the keys. The owner thought the car had remote central locking, and that the module had been lost. But I thought that Smartlock is just the immobiliser (Does having Smartlock imply remote central locking also?)?! Not sure thought - oner mentioned that I may be able to get a module from DickSmiths or something - I'm not totally certain that they knew the car very well though!

Damien
Old 01-16-2003, 06:21   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
By the way...how does the smartlock work in these things? Is it something in the key or what? I notice that it seems to disable the smartlock when I turn the key.
When you turn the key the immobiliser is disabled and you can start the car. According to my Gregory's manual "The engine immobilisation function is carried out by the electronic ignition switch/lock cylinder assembly in conjuction with the control module.

Armed
When the key is removed from the lock cylinder, the system is armed and the warning lamp will flash briefly with a 1.1 second pause between flashes. When the system is armed, the remote keypad can operate the door locks.

Immobilised
If the control module recieves incorrect codes from the ignition switch/lock cylinder assembly, the system enters the immobilised mode which is indicated by rapid flashes of the warning lamp.
In the immobilised mode, the starter motor will not operate and the engine will not start.
If the cause of the immobilised mode was a discrepancy in the signal from the ignition switch/lock cylinder assembly to the control module, the engine should start if another attempt is made.
If the cause was an illegal attempt to start the engine, such as bypassing the ignition switch or applying power directly to the starter motor, the immobilised mode will continue and the engine cannot be started."

Quote:
The owner thought the car had remote central locking, and that the module had been lost.
If you didn't get remotes with the car they can be purchased from your local ford dealer for about $75. The car then needs to be programmed to the remotes, but if you need that info just ask on here.

Quote:
But I thought that Smartlock is just the immobiliser (Does having Smartlock imply remote central locking also?)?!
Smartlock is just the immobiliser, the ecu controls the remote central locking I believe.

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 13:46   #5 (permalink)

Hey, thanks for that crYnOid...handy info.

Damien
Old 01-16-2003, 19:08   #6 (permalink)

I think only the later EB2s had remote centeral locking. The earlier ones still had the Tibby (spelling?) locks and no smartlock. I think ones with smartlock have remote central locking. I wouldnt bother with the remote locking. Who cares if u can lock the car from 5 meters away! Centeral locking still works with the key and you have to get the key out to start the car anyway! If you install an alarm then you will have 2 remotes to carry around!
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 11:54   #7 (permalink)

Well...I bothered to get a remote for it. $55 down at the local locksmith.

I kinda like it. The novelty is cool at the moment...but it's nice to be able to open the boot when you've got a couple of arms full of groceries without having to fumble with the key into the lock.

Nahhh...remote central locking rocks!
Old 02-23-2004, 04:05   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: Finally - I've got wheels again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHoeNiX_EB
I think only the later EB2s had remote centeral locking. The earlier ones still had the Tibby (spelling?) locks and no smartlock. I think ones with smartlock have remote central locking. I wouldnt bother with the remote locking. Who cares if u can lock the car from 5 meters away! Centeral locking still works with the key and you have to get the key out to start the car anyway! If you install an alarm then you will have 2 remotes to carry around!
Correct Series 1 EB's didnt have smart lock it was introduced with Series 2.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:12   #9 (permalink)
Often has bolts left over

This thread is 13 months old. I dont think that information is helping anyone.

have a nice day.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:56   #10 (permalink)
Ride like the Wind

I certainly hope he is not still trying to work out his immobiliser.

Barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes