Ford Forums banner

Ford sports suspension kit opinions

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  AUII XR8 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a standard Au forte with the original sloppy suspension. I am thinking of going back to my ford dealer and getting the new sports suspension kit for $699 fitted. This includes 4 new springs, 4 new shocks and bump stops.

Has any1 got opinions on this? Has any1 actually had this modification fitted?

Thanks

#3 ·
Any reason for that?

What makes the aftermarket kit any better?

The thing is, I don't want to spend thousands on a plain old Au forte and that seems okay. The other thing is it covered by warranty and I won't get hassles from the insurance company as it's factory fitted.

#4 ·
Just because it's a factory option doesn't mean the insurance companies will like it. A mate tried to get coverage for his VT exec with factoryy order FE2 suspenion. Found it very hard. And for the money I reckon you can't go wrong.

#5 ·
Hmm,

I rang them up and they were very knowledgeable but my fears were realised - very expensive indeed. I think I was looking at over $1500 to sort out the handling and once I add a set of 17's and tyres it kind of blows the budget.

While the factory sports may not be the best I have to remeber its only a forte not an XR6/8 so it's probably a waste of money to put mega suspesion on it.

#6 ·
Hi,

I personally wouldnt want to go for the factory suspension. I recently upgraded my suspension from the standard XR suspension to a set of Low King Springs and Koni Adjustables. It cost me under $600 to do this!!!

Believe me - there is a HUGE difference!!

And with the insurance... you will get problems with any suspension changes... factory or not.

#7 ·
Now $600 sounds good for king springs and koni's - where was that done? I can remember a post about West Ryde Midas a while ago.

If so I guess I should givce Mick a call there and sort something out.

BTW did you end up having to do anything like install a camber kit with the super low's???

#8 ·
Hi,

Yeah - I got Mick from Midas to install it.

He also did Advilliax's rear springs. He only charged him $50 for fitting I think.

I didnt need to get a camber kit.. I already have half of one! (YES HALF!) But there is plenty of clearance still.

I did have a full camber kit before.... but the last time I was getting a wheel alignment I was informed that only 1 side had a camber kit, and the cover on the inside of the wheel arch (front passanger side) was missing!!!!
Still have no idea where these parts went, or when they dissapeared!!

#10 ·
Hmmm,

Looks like the Ford suspension is the go - I called Midas and they quoted me $1000 to do 4 springs and 4 monroe gas shocks!

How the hell can anybody justify that sort of variation in cost? Why does anything associated with cars have to be somewhat shonky?

#11 ·
TheBow said:
..... I have to remember its only a forte not an XR6/8 so it's probably a waste of money to put mega suspesion on it.
:crazy1: So What!

So it won't have the resale of an XR but if you want it to handle go ahead and do the mods. Remember the XR6 & XR8 bodyshells don't know that they will have Tickford badges on them when they are being made. They are all the same when it come down to the basic structure, suspension pick-up points etc.

They are just bloody Falcons after all - not that theres anything wrong with that:s5

#13 ·
TheBow said:
Hi,

I have a standard Au forte with the original sloppy suspension. I am thinking of going back to my ford dealer and getting the new sports suspension kit for $699 fitted. This includes 4 new springs, 4 new shocks and bump stops.

Has any1 got opinions on this? Has any1 actually had this modification fitted?

Thanks
I've tested out a vehicle with that suspension kit on it and I have to say that it's pretty good. We had it fitted to a Forte standard (which I'm guessing you have) and it made a significant difference as to ride and handling. Ride is obviously comprimised because of the vehicle being lowered but it doesn't make you feel "every bump on the road".

#16 ·
Yeah if your after a sport suspension package at a decent price the tickford suspension jobbies are definitly the go.

I didn't go for the Tickford jobbies as i needed custom springs aftermarket sway bar etc.

Anyone know what shockies are used on these tickford suspension packages?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.