Front Suspension Failures - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2003, 21:31   #1 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Front Suspension Failures

I have heard word that there may be an issue with the front suspension of the BA Falcons - that they are 'tearing out' of their mountings.

Has anyone else heard this rumour? Is it just an urban legend?

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2003, 21:56   #2 (permalink)

Never heard of this one! Hope it's just BS. Where did you hear this Luke?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 23:38   #3 (permalink)

Believe nothing of what you hear, half of what you read, and most of what you see.
Old 03-25-2003, 00:47   #4 (permalink)

Re: Front Suspension Failures

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke Plaizier
I have heard word that there may be an issue with the front suspension of the BA Falcons - that they are 'tearing out' of their mountings.

Has anyone else heard this rumour? Is it just an urban legend?

Lukeyson
That rumour is just a load of crap. As some of you that were on the raid to the proving ground last year would know, we give the cars a hell of a time over the extremely harsh bumps and lumps. The AU passed these harsh tests with not much of a problem. The BA has further reinforcement in the upper control arm mount area so its almost not possible! I have seen a BA that hit a concrete gutter thats about 30 cm high and it didn't move the upper suspension mounting. very tuff.

I recently had a mad holden fan try to tell me that the new BA IRS was crap as when the car was loaded it would let the tyres rub on the petrol tank. I had my own BA XR6 out the front, so I dragged him out to have a look at it and see for him self how silly this rumour actually was. He very quickly realised that in order for the tyre to hit the fuel tank, the upper arm would have to break and then there tyre would have to chew its way though the chassis rail and if it managed to get that fat it might touch the fuel tank but only after driving about 60000kms.

Some people are just idiots who like making up crap!
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 00:56   #5 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

thank you harasn its good to hear some real facts. i am not implying anything towards luke he doesn't seem the type to just just spread crap. i myself were told many a rumours about the BA and well when ur not 100% of the truth u do have an inkling to believe it and ask ppl for their opinion.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:27   #6 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Well, that's reassuring.

Asking my 'source' for more detail, it turned into a friend-of-a-friend scenario. His mate is a mechanic, who has a mate at Klosters in Newcastle. He's claiming that the aluminium subframe, heavier weight and stiffer suspension are all contributors to failure.

Having little faith in the story, I figured posting it here might clear it up for me.

Still, it might be something that has a low failure rate due to manufacturing defects. Let's keep our ears to the ground to rule it out....

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 17:54   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke Plaizier
Well, that's reassuring.

Asking my 'source' for more detail, it turned into a friend-of-a-friend scenario. His mate is a mechanic, who has a mate at Klosters in Newcastle. He's claiming that the aluminium subframe, heavier weight and stiffer suspension are all contributors to failure.

Lukeyson
The mechanic is a . We have weighted a BA to way past the weight capacity of the front suspension to see what breaks. Nothing broke! The alloy cross member and the like are very strong. I have seen the cross member stay in almost one piece in a bad front end crash and the chassis rail had been crushed and torn before the suspension was damaged.

no truth at all!
harasn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 18:02   #8 (permalink)
JP
XR6 Driver

I think this "rumor" is BS. I don't think that the BA Falcon would have won the COTY for this to occur....

My 2 cents worth

JP
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes