Ford Forums banner

Front suspension Issues

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Windstar. It is becoming a rougher ride these days. For the past 3 years at inspection time I have had to replace the right inner tie rod. 4 years ago it was the left and this year I have to replace the left one again as well. I have noticed that the sway bar links are shot as well, and recently had the struts replaced. Of course it also will not stay aligned. Any suggestions as to cause and /or solution? Thanks

#2 ·
Are the tires new? One problem in the front end can lead to others fast enough, which if not fixed within a couple months can lead to premature wear of a component that you just had replaced. I'd start by getting the tires balanced and checked for even wear. Do you notice if the van wants to pull to the left or right on a level road if you remove both hands from the wheel?

If you don't drive 'quick' and rarely carry more than four passengers you don't need a sway bar anyway. It's to help keep the vehicle stable when cornering without getting a bobbing motion as you straighten the vehicle out after a turn. Most heavy duty trucks have no sway bars as they're not driven like sports cars. Anyway, it's just a thought, if you don't need it for inspection or carrying moderate to large loads, ditch it.

If a GOOD REPUTABLE shop can't tell you why the vehicle can't be aligned, I'd check with your dealer for any possible recalls or TSB(technical service bulletins) that may have been missed. All you should have to give them in your VIN and they should be able to tell you over the phone. Owners aren't notified of TSB's unless it's a safety concern. It'd be a worthwhile call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.