Front wheel rattle. Need help please. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2003, 02:29   #1 (permalink)
Sideways..

Front wheel rattle. Need help please.

Ok whenever I go over bumps the front left wheel I can hear a knocking/rattle sound. It started out soft and its getting louder and more frequent over even the smallest of bumps.

At first i thought it was a spring or something but I've jacked up the car and its all good, no movement there.
So then I tried to move the wheel, and the bloody wheel moves about 3mm side to side, but not upwards and downwards.
I thought it was a wheel bearing, so took it to Lynford to confirm this and get prices..etc and he said since it doesnt move up or down its something to do with the steering. He said go home, have the wheel at almost full lock to see inside good, then move the wheel by hand and see whats loose.

Well he was right and there is something loose.

Heres a picture of the bit thats got movement --> http://austin.axg.net/temp/movement.jpg
(yes the nut is upside down, i'll explain below)

and a video to show just how much play there is - http://austin.axg.net/temp/movement.avi

Well I tried tightening the nut and bloody hell I swear if I tried any harder i would have snapped the spanner! it budged maybe a 10th of a turn and thats it. I dont want to snap or thread anything.

Now reason why I think its come loose, is that about a year or so ago my mate had to undo that bolt for some reason, and when he went to put it back on we tried for like 20 mins to get it on, it would not go on as if the thread was rooted, so he had the smart idea to try it upside down.. well it fit after a bit of convincing and we couldnt put the pin into it like you normally do when its the right way.

Well I rekon over time its slowly become loose, or maybe something else has happened.. i dunno... but im not sure how to fix this problem!!

Anyone ever had a similar problem, its very annoying and I need to get it fixed.

Cheers, any comments appreciated, and sorry for the long story. Thought it would be best to explain fully.

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.

Last edited by XF Falcon; 07-15-2003 at 03:39.
XF Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2003, 03:55   #2 (permalink)
Certified Car Nut

Re: Front wheel rattle. Need help please.

Hmm, couldn't download the video, but me rekons a couple of things.
1 you won't be able to tension the tie rod end up properly because the castellated nut being upside down is biting into the stub axle, put the nut on properly and it should tighten up properly.
2 the tie rod could be st*ffed and needs replacement.
3 your bl**dy lucky it didn't fall off!! be real nasty at speed.
4 if your real lucky you won't have ovaled the tapered hole in the stub axle, if you have then no amount of tension will stop the tie rod from wobbling in the hole, you'll have to replace the stub axle as well.

hope that helps
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 00:55   #3 (permalink)
Sideways..

cheers i'll look into it.

if we still cant get the nut on the right way then upside down is the only way to do it. would putting a metal washer (with a hole about the same size as the thread) under the nut help at all? Say one thats about 1-2mm thick?

Xtreme 275.6 rwkw, 12.93 sec quater, Phoon CAI, Siemens Injectors, StealthFX BOV with XBOX entertainment.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:16   #4 (permalink)

I would get a new tierod end and fit it up..I seem to remember that some early model falcons(maybe drum brake) had a smaller taper and it could be someone has fitted the wrong tierod..When the tierod is pushed up into the stub axle is the step flush with the face where the nut goes..If so a washer might help but it would have to be large enough for the taper to come through..Is the nut bottoming on the step?
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 20:35   #5 (permalink)
Sideways..

sorry im not very familiar with names of all the suspension parts, so its a bit hard to answer your questions gregaust.
Im 99% sure that no one has fitted any different parts there, as there was no problem before the time where we had to fit the nut upside down.
So really its just a matter of how to fix this, whether it be a washer or not? Im open to suggestions.
PS. im pretty sure the nuts thread is bodgy and it wont go on the right way. we tried for close to 30 mins that day about a year ago.

Old 07-07-2003, 21:16   #6 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

hell dude you gotta get a new tie rod end for that puppy and put that castle nut on the right way so you can put a cotter pin into the hole for safety.
around here that would not pass inspection and putting a washer under it is not the way to go.
after you replace it you will need to have a front end alignment done to or you might wear tires.
351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 23:14   #7 (permalink)

That's one scary photo.

When you are installing the nut (the right way up),
borrow a torque wrench and torque it to 45Nm then
a bit more to line up the hole, then put the split pin in.
Old 07-07-2003, 23:26   #8 (permalink)
Dc_todd

I had a noisy front end on my car till last weekend when, I replaced to upper control arm bushes, the thing is dead quiet again, well from the suspension side of things every thing else sounds the way it should... rumble to roar...
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:13   #9 (permalink)
Sideways..

Ok so sounds like replacing the tie rod end is the best thing to do. I'd turn the nut up the right way but it just doesnt want to get on the damn thread.

Im guessing you take off the tie rod end by taking off the nut and then unscrewing it out of the adjustable sleeve?

Hopefully the hole in the stub axle isnt ovaled like Ferryman said.

How much would a tie rod end set me back, or even better, how much would you pay from the wreckers for one? And possibly a stub axle too?

Cheers! I'll go tomorrow if I get an answer soon.

Last edited by XF Falcon; 07-08-2003 at 13:12.
Old 07-08-2003, 13:24   #10 (permalink)
Certified Car Nut

the best thing is to buy a new one from your local car parts place, you'll pay around $30. ring around first and compare prices. R***o will have them at a price you can refuse, try A*** 1 or S***r C***p first.
Don't bother trying to get one from a wrecker because most of the suspension bits like tie rod ends and ball joints are the first to wear out.

Rednecks dont write history, they make it happen.

Friends are just people that you know, when, where and how they'll let you down. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet.....
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes