G'day & question on EB brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2003, 21:36   #1 (permalink)
O_T

Smile G'day & question on EB brakes

G'day there all,
Been checking this forum for awhile ... found it very informative and entertaining.
Some basic info ..
I have a bog standard EB Fairmont in "reasonable to good" nick.

And .. I'm parked here in Adelaide .. so any answers relating to business's need to take that into consideration.

Just had the old girl serviced etc ... I've been informed that the occasional annoying sqeak coming from the front right brake is the result of pads that are getting low (along with the back suckers) ... so they need replacing.

The questions..
How much for a set of pads (F&R)?
How much should one pay to get the pads (F&R) replaced ONLY?

Does anyone know of a reputable/non "rip-off merchant" mechanic that can do this sort of work ... apart from your standard Ultra-Tunes/Profix brigade?

Would it be reasonable to attempt the job myself ?... I know one end of a spanner from the other ... I think.
If so ... apart from buying a manual, is there any spots on the web that will give a basic rundown on what needs to be done... and how.
Cheers for your time ... Hope to hear from you.
O_T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2003, 21:45   #2 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Where abouts in Adelaide are you? North or Southern suburbs?

reason I ask is I'm from the south and I have a very good mechanic who is a Ford nut and I've been going to him for 5 years now. He wont give you the run around and he's up front with what ever the situation you have with your car.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 22:42   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Yeah I have a good mech south too. Thing is, you cannot dictate to a
reputable mechanic how much to do, if say he finds another brake fault while working on your car. He is legally bound to tell you, and obliged by law to fix it properly. So for example he finds fault with rotors or hydraulics, it will have to be done. Having said that my mech is as honest as the day is long (a summer day during daylight saving that is). Also his prices are very reasonable. I have been taking my cars to him for services/repairs for the past 15 years, and so have my family & friends. When and if he retires one day, I'll be getting rid of my cars and getting a horse and buggy! If yu want his contact details, reply to me.
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 22:49   #4 (permalink)
O_T

Unfortunitly Northern 'burbs ..
Is there a "wombats guide " to installing F&R brakes on the net ..?
Front seems a reasonable proposition ... but the back is the worry... Should it be?
Old 06-05-2003, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Finally found the thread I was looking for. A few tips hee;
Changing brake pads on EB

It's not at all difficult (famous last word) to do it yourself.

The rears can be tricky, the piston needs to be rotated and pushed back into the caliper (until the thread properly engages) then screwed back all the way. I have managed this with various tools that you would find in any toolbox (pliers, vice grips, screwdriver combo's) and a bit of ingenuity & dexterity. You don't really need the special tool.

Remember to free-up the slides as well (many garages don't bother) for the caliper to function properly.

Zantetsuken also has a run-down on what needs to be done in his article on replacing brake rotors;
http://www.geocities.com/polar988/rotor1

You'll never learn if you don't have a go.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:48   #6 (permalink)
O_T

Cheers for the advice ppl .... appreciated.
:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes