Groove in Disc - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2004, 23:12   #1 (permalink)

Groove in Disc

On my EB1 I just changed the brake pads. I noticed on the RHS disc there is a deep groove near the centre. The disc probably cannot be machined because it is too deep.

Apart from this, the discs are fine and the new pads installed with no problems.

Do I really need to change the disc? Will it cause the pad to stick as it wears into the groove? If necessary I will put new ones on.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 02:13   #2 (permalink)
MY GHIA

Re: Groove in Disc

yuo should it is now a week spot on the disk and will only get worse as the pad wears into the grove
Old 07-14-2004, 20:22   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
On my EB1 I just changed the brake pads. I noticed on the RHS disc there is a deep groove near the centre. The disc probably cannot be machined because it is too deep.

Apart from this, the discs are fine and the new pads installed with no problems.

Do I really need to change the disc? Will it cause the pad to stick as it wears into the groove? If necessary I will put new ones on.
Depending on how deep it is, I would probably ignore it. The groove will tend to disapear as the disk wears.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:39   #4 (permalink)

Grateful for the replies. I had another look and it is quite big. The groove is about 2 mm deep and 3 mm across. The disc has been machined at least once I would say, so now I am concerned it will bust under a heavy load because it is thin there - is this possible?
Not too expensive to replace, but I'm not too confident in doing the wheel bearings up correctly.
muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:15   #5 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

It will be o/k so long as you don't go crazy!!Both sides of then rotors are held together well..If there is no vibration or steering wheel wobble..It's o/k...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 17:44   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

It'd be a pity if it let out on you during emergency braking, and causes a rear-end or something..

Also, it may not be road-worthy, and if you have an accident, insurance can deny a claim.. It might be worth it to change that disc, not sure if you can really replace one and not the other, though?
Old 07-19-2004, 17:52   #7 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

It will be fine, discs are very strong, a groove like that is nothing.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:59   #8 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

heh, the groove is probably increasing the braking area :s5
Old 07-21-2004, 15:33   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juarez
It'd be a pity if it let out on you during emergency braking, and causes a rear-end or something..

Also, it may not be road-worthy, and if you have an accident, insurance can deny a claim.. It might be worth it to change that disc, not sure if you can really replace one and not the other, though?
You will have a far greater problem with one new disc and one old disc than you would ever have with a groove in one disc.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes