Ford Forums banner

GTP Wheels

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rod 
#1 ·
OK, this is my first post, I don't know much about the technical side of cars, I love Ford, and I should get my Black GTP (with silver stripes) in the next week!

I've learnt in this forum that the front and rear wheels on the GT are not interchangeable.

First dumb question: Does this mean that tyre life is much less since there is not wheel rotation?

Thanks!

PS: I've been told that my GTP should be finished in the factory on 9 July. How long does it then take to get up to Brisbane where I live?

#2 ·
I have read that it is because that the rears are offset.
I guess you could get uneven wear considering the possibility that it is too inviting to leave some black marks around the place to let folks know where you've been.
Part of the service is to rotate tyres......if you get on well with your service guys (and if they have the equipment) ask them nicely if they could do tyre rotations for you. Or simply go to a tyre place and ask for the rotate and balance, some places do it for as little as $5.

Regards

Paul.

#3 ·
BTW,

Welcome to the forums, man is there some folks with helpful knowledge ideas and experience.

Regards again

Paul.

#4 ·
greetings tim & welcome to the forums
the tyre rotation for the gt/p is as paul says it is tyres only as the rims have a different offset from front to rear

in my opinion i think it would be best to swap them from front to rear @ about 10,000 km's & every 10,000 after that, the main thing to lookout for is that the tyre fitter does not damage the sidewall during removal & re-fitting & it is advisiable not to swap the direction of rotatation

regards
rod

#5 ·
Hi Rod;

Are you saying that it is not a good idea to change the fronts over by turning them over, and if so why.. (sorry if that seems a dumb ?, but wouldnt they be rotating in the correct diretion, only the once outer sidewall would now be on the inside).

Beers 'n' Cheers

Paul

#6 ·
greetings paul
in answer to your question "no"
what i mean is do not chance the direction of rotation, you can swap L/H/F tyre to R/H/F but the L/H/F outer sidewall will now be the R/H/F inner sidewall, that way it will still rotate in the same direction

once a tyre has been used the cord's in the sidewall stretch, it is not a good idea to stretch them one way & then the other

regards
rod

#7 ·
Thanks Rod,
I was aware of the directional traits of these tyres. A mate said that you couldnt swap left to right, I thought you could.

Once again Ford Forums have the answers...
Blah to ill informed mates I say.

Thanxsalotta

#8 ·
Timothy said:
PS: I've been told that my GTP should be finished in the factory on 9 July. How long does it then take to get up to Brisbane where I live?
Depends on a number of things but I'd be woirking on 14 days or so.

Cheers
Russ

#9 ·
Timothy said:
OK, this is my first post, I don't know much about the technical side of cars, I love Ford, and I should get my Black GTP (with silver stripes) in the next week!
Welcome Timothy... Just like to mention I saw a black GTP with silver stripes cruising with a XWGT the other week. I almost had a car accident because I was staring so much!!!. Well done mate it'll look WILD! :hy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.