Handbrake sticking on !! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 04:50   #1 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

roll Handbrake sticking on !!

Has any one had trouble with there hand brake staying on when released?? pita ....
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 04:57   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Yep. In the AU1 XR6. Had to call the NRMA - the guy got under the car with a big screwdriver and a pair of pliers and did something, then disconnected the cable so it wouldn't happen again (I then had to get it fixed at Ford). Sorry I couldn't be more help.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:10   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yes I had the same thing at the car park at Eastern Creek today. I think either the cable is frayed or it's corroded on the shaft on caliper.. Mainly gets driven from garage to driveway to get washed on weekends...Looks like some graphite or water resistant grease in that area is required..
R.I.P Possum...
Old 05-03-2003, 05:34   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Mine just broke on Friday. Went down to ford for a new cable and they said it is common for them to fray just before they go through the firewall. Sometimes they stick on, sometimes they break. I am glad mine just broke and I could get home.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 06:00   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Or when they frey the handbreak does not release all the way and the handbreak pads glaze up and squeel when cold! Mine does it and its a pain in the a##!!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:21   #6 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Mine binds in the left caliper, have to crawl under and pull back where the short lever attach's to cable. The other side did it ages ago, I put some water resistant gease there..Hmm some kind of traction control ???
R.I.P Possum...
Old 05-03-2003, 08:00   #7 (permalink)

Possibly also the caliper slides on the rear brakes (I'm assuming a sort of similar setup to XF rear disc). No matter what system is used, it would pay to disconnect the cable from the rear calipers, and check if the cable can be moved freely within its outer sheath (pull on the handbrake, then push it back in - also a good idea to have someone underneath the car to gently pull on the inner cable as the handbrake is released!). If cable action is pretty free, cable is OK and the problem lies in the caliper.
XWish Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 08:00   #8 (permalink)

I had this happen on my old EA, rebuilt the caliper and was as good as new.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:05   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

yeah after a few years of use the calipers can get a bit sticky, esp the rear ones because they have all that weird stuff in the piston to allow for the handbrake actuation.

i assume you arent putting the handbrake on when the rotors are hot? you should be shot if you are! the pads can actually bond to the disc in some cases, but in most cases the rotors just warp...

if its only going in and out of the driveway dont use the handbrake - park (auto) or 1st gear (manual) is more than adeauate in most cases - i only ever use the handbrake when parked on a decent hill for exactly the reasons i stated above. (yeah the brakes usually have a bit of heat in them whenever i park )

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:55   #10 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Similar thing happened on my eb...LOTS of grease fixed it....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollin
yeah after a few years of use the calipers can get a bit sticky, esp the rear ones because they have all that weird stuff in the piston to allow for the handbrake actuation.

i assume you arent putting the handbrake on when the rotors are hot? you should be shot if you are! the pads can actually bond to the disc in some cases, but in most cases the rotors just warp...

if its only going in and out of the driveway dont use the handbrake - park (auto) or 1st gear (manual) is more than adeauate in most cases - i only ever use the handbrake when parked on a decent hill for exactly the reasons i stated above. (yeah the brakes usually have a bit of heat in them whenever i park )

I thought that was only a prob when they get really really hot...like track work hot.....we were told dont use handbrakes when you come in after a few laps cos the heat boils the fluid, and warps the disc etc...so yeah when you go out again and come to the first corner, mash your brakes and going no where thats why....

if thats the case in normal driving though rollin, good thing to remember....thks
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes