Ford Forums banner

Help with ABS

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Has anyone any experience with ABS? I have a ED with ABS and the "check ABS" light keeps coming on ramdomly. I have given it to the local Ford dealer and they found one sensor cracked and couldn't find anything else wrong. They reckon that shouldn't cause a fault light and couldn't get the light to come on themselves anyway.

I changed this sensor myself (because to my thinking it was the only thing wrong with the system) with a 2nd hand sensor from a wrecker and the light came on permently so I put the original one back in and the light stopped coming on.

Fixed I thought but how wrong I was. A month or so later the light started coming on again. :angry:

The warning light might not come on for weeks and then it will turn on everyday. If you follow the manual, you stop, turn the car off and the re-start the car and if the light goes off no problem. It does this but then it might come back on the next 1 km or next week!

HELP!!!!

By the way, just before the light comes on you can hear the ABS module "cycling" and whilst it is doing this the brakes don't work!

See less See more
#3 ·
A common problem that can be found with the ABS sensors is that they can get a Build up of Brake dust, Dirt, and Oil on them.

When this happens, they have trouble picking up the magnetic field, and thus intermittantly fail.

Try using some degreaser around the Front and rear wheel speed sensors, and clean em up a little, and see how that goes.

Cheers
Matti

#4 ·
while you have the degreaser out remove the wiring plug from the ABS module and throughly clean out the wiring connections and plug as they tend to corrode due to water entry due to the position of the module. This is what I remember from my time in a Ford dealership when they were somewhat new. Never remove the globe as this is completely stupid, as is anyone who does it, as the ABS could fail and you wouldn't know it. I would like to know if it is not working and get it fixed before I needed it and it was broken and I didn't know due to no globe. makes getting it fixed cheap compared to a car repair bill for removing a 30cent globe. I'll get off my soap box now!!!

#5 ·
Thanks everyone. When the Ford dealer had it they said they cleaned up the sensors but I'll do it myself to make sure it has been done properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.