Help choosing 16 " Tyres - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 04:32   #1 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Help choosing 16 " Tyres

Hi everyone, Im replacing my 16" tyres, and Im having trouble picking a brand. My initial instinct is to pick out of Bridgestone, Yokohama and Dunlop. My spending limit is $180 per tyre. I currently have Yokohama A539s on the front and Wanlis on the back. The Yokies have great grip, but seem to have worn fairly quickly, the wanlis are crap in the wet & crap in the dry (but at least theyre predictable in the dry)

My priorites are dry grip, wet grip, and longevity (in that order) However I would compromise a bit on grip if a certain tyre well and truly outlasted another type.

If anyone can point me in the right direction re: any of these brands, or suggest any other brands itd be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2004, 06:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: Help choosing 16 " Tyres

Firestone SZ50. 225/50/16. I was told time and time again that they were crap but they stuck like glue in the dry and almost felt stickier in the wet!! Virtually no road noise, either, which is important if you've heard really cheap tyres on the freeway...
Anyways, I could throw my V8 NC Fairlane into a nasty right hander (that was deadly in the wet- major bus route(diesel on road etc, etc...)) and yes it would step out but would come right back when I wanted it to. Wet weather grip absolutely unbelievable!
As a comparo when the time came to replace, I lashed out and bought some Dunlop W10's (4). Tackled the same corner in wet conditions again and, well, lets just say lucky no one was coming the other way... Hmm.
I went straight back to the Firestones. At the time I got them all done for under $700.00!!
Indycar wets tread pattern is identical to these :)
Tickford-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 21:50   #3 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Hi, never heard from anyone running firestones before! Chcked the Bridgestone site for the usual propoganda, but they sound very enticing! Have you run any other tyres before T-L? So many tyres, so little time/money!
Old 07-24-2004, 00:30   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerazy S-Pak
Hi, never heard from anyone running firestones before! Chcked the Bridgestone site for the usual propoganda, but they sound very enticing! Have you run any other tyres before T-L? So many tyres, so little time/money!

Yeah, bloody good tyre. I was wrapped with them. All my cars (3) have 15" wheels so I haven't got a recommendation as to what to run at the moment. I'd put the Firestones up for a crack at the Pepsi Challenge, but!!
Just remember to shop around efficiently and ignore the "gimmic"...
Old 07-25-2004, 00:13   #5 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Pepsi Challenge? =)
Old 07-25-2004, 03:42   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Pepsi Challenge? =)
The "Pepsi Challenge" is a poxy old saying that you would say if you reckoned something was really good, sort of. Hard to explain..
The pepsi challenge was some sort of task that was really difficult, and only the BEST could have a chance at winning. So with me saying that I'd put the Firestones up for the Pepsi Challenge, they are the best grip tyres I've put on my Fairlane. Period.
You in Melb., K S-Pak?
Old 07-26-2004, 00:08   #7 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

The Pepsi Challnege does sound oddly familiar, thats why i asked for confirmation. Yep Im in Melb, SE Burbs, Ur self?

Re: The Firestones, Ive always had this uneasy feeling regarding that brand cos of all the dramas in the US with SUVs rolling over and whatnot, and the lack of advertising. However other ppl on the forums have recommended Hankooks and I havnt seen any of them on TV either. Ive noticed SZ50/Kook K1 ads in my car mags now that the tyre radar is switched on tho! Ahh if only I could line up a set of everything and take em all for a spin! =)
Old 07-26-2004, 13:50   #8 (permalink)

I have found that choice is fairly limited for big 16" tyres. There isnt much around over 225. I am getting Goodyear Eagle F1 245/45/16 on 8" rims all round. Anyone tried them? They are an awesome looking tyre, probably a bit wide for the front though.
Ok kiddies, the Pepsi challenge was all about soft drinks. You had to say which tasted the best, Pepsi or Coke without knowing which was which.
Old 07-26-2004, 19:51   #9 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

YES! The pepsi challenge! The Goodyear F1s are a pretty godlooking tyre. Judging from the other threads im involved in tho, the hankook 104s seem to be the go. I mite start off with them and see how i go, upgrade to something more name-y when the time comes.
Old 07-27-2004, 00:41   #10 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Help choosing 16 " Tyres

Quote:
YES! The pepsi challenge! The Goodyear F1s are a pretty godlooking tyre. Judging from the other threads im involved in tho, the hankook 104s seem to be the go. I mite start off with them and see how i go, upgrade to something more name-y when the time comes.
Which F1s did you see?? I couldnt find the ones I am getting on any of the Goodyear websites. Tried OZ, N.Z, USA, or UK. There seem to be heaps of different F1s available. I don't no my exact model number but they look BETTER then any the ones on the websites. I just asked for the size tyre I wanted when I ordered my wheels and the guy goes, Yep, Ive got some of those in stock. I got him to show me one. All I remember is it said Goodyear Eagle F1 Made in USA, but I can't find a pic of the tread pattern anywhere. It was a very aggressive looking tread with two wide gaps runing around the tyre on each side of the centre. They looked HUGE for a 245. I get them when my wheels are made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes