How big can i Legally go??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2005, 00:53   #1 (permalink)

How big can i Legally go???

I am trying to find the actual law on changing Rim and tyre size.. I have scowered the Vicroads website and can't come up with diddly squat..

Just wondering if anybody has the actual rule on this.

I am looking to put 19x8 245/35 on the front and 19x9.5 275/35 more likely (265/35) on the rear of my GTP

But not really sure if that’s legal or not.

any info or a link to somwhere where the standard is written would be a great help.

Jim
JimBoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 02:07   #2 (permalink)
1974 xl tc 250 cortina

Re: How big can i Legally go???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBoSS
I am trying to find the actual law on changing Rim and tyre size.. I have scowered the Vicroads website and can't come up with diddly squat..

Just wondering if anybody has the actual rule on this.

Its there. Its bloody hard to find but its there.

Look here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/vsi%208.pdf

or go:

Vehicles>Vehicle standards information>Modification guide

There's heaps of the guts of what is legal and whats not. Not my mates cousin reckons this.....

Enjoy.
thek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:51   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Thek,

so 25mm seems to be tha max increase in tyre meat which is 1 inch.. Hmmmmm so a 245 to 265 is therefore to much an increase.

ok the next question is how much can you get away with ?

Jim
Old 01-05-2005, 04:41   #4 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Thanks Thek,

so 25mm seems to be tha max increase in tyre meat which is 1 inch.. Hmmmmm so a 245 to 265 is therefore to much an increase.

Jim
AS much as you feel like
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 16:56   #5 (permalink)

the djr cars run similar tyre sizes front and rear, but i understand you can do pretty much anything you want with an engineer's certificate.

i run 18x8.5 with 255's up front and 18x9.5 with 275's on the rear and it's a squeeze (it's also lowered another inch). you have to get the offset spot on (especially with the brembos on the gt-p; mine has brembos too, but i found going to the sizes you are talking about you are limited to mostley very expensive rims- CSA and crowds like that pretty much cater mostly for car yards etc; ROH Envy's, only one advanti model, simmons, enkei, BBS and a few more do the 9.5". I went the enkei RPO3's on mine witha huge weight saving over the std azzuros and look absolutly sensational- the car looks like it's come straight off a race track now...... which is want I wanted.

One of the best mods you could do in my opinion, transforms the way you launch, alot better into and out of corners, looks way better from the back etc.

With that much power on tap (and considering the sheer size of the car, these are way too under-tyred- just have to look at the BMW M3's, AMG's, Porsches etc, all run huge rubber and we stuck with 245/45/18's
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 18:53   #6 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Quote:
Don’t forget to run whatever you decide by your insurance company before you purchase too, they are generally more restrictive than what is legal (unless you enjoy paying high premiums).
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 20:40   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Don’t forget to run whatever you decide by your insurance company before you purchase too, they are generally more restrictive than what is legal (unless you enjoy paying high premiums).

i Just spoke to racv i had the guy check the highest i can go without stuffing up my policy...he had to call the underwritter to confirm.

turns out i can only put an 8" wide rim on the car.. that allows me to put a max of 245 on the car (which it already has standard) so there goes my 265 or 275 option i was looking at...

So before i start ringing around for alternate insurance has anybody else gone through this on a GT/GTP and which insurance company allows higher rim width's ??

Any help would be awsome.

Jim
Old 01-05-2005, 21:02   #8 (permalink)

Wow they regulate just bout everything down in Australia. Must make it hard to modify your car.
Ranger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes