How can I check my new XR6T has premium brakes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 17:52   #1 (permalink)

How can I check my new XR6T has premium brakes?

I expect to be taking delivery of a new XR6T next week, my first Ford after a lifetime of Holdens I might add. The XR6 will have a few options, including premium brakes.

Before I sign for the car, I of course plan to check that all the options have been included.

Most are easy to check, ie premium sound, 18" wheels etc, but I don't know how to confirm the premium brake option.

Maybe take it for a high-speed run and jump on the brake peddle ?

Any thoughts please?
DavidL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 17:57   #2 (permalink)
How Fast Were You Going?

Thumbs up Re: How can I check my new XR6T has premium brakes?

Im no expert, but i think the calipers should be blue & you should have slotted rotors.
Trav 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 18:05   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Re: How can I check my new XR6T has premium brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL
I expect to be taking delivery of a new XR6T next week, my first Ford after a lifetime of Holdens I might add. The XR6 will have a few options, including premium brakes.

Before I sign for the car, I of course plan to check that all the options have been included.

Most are easy to check, ie premium sound, 18" wheels etc, but I don't know how to confirm the premium brake option.

Maybe take it for a high-speed run and jump on the brake peddle ?

Any thoughts please?
The Shark is correct, the calipers will be different colour, and the rotors are slotted. However I am not sure if they are blue. I know there are two different premium brake sets - the GT kind, Brembo which are about $5K and the regular optional Brembos which are about $3500 or so... they may all be blue, I am not sure. But you should be able to tell the difference by looking at them, or even comparing them with another car on the floor if in doubt.... and if you drive it and don't stop - get your money back - ha ha!

And congrats on the choice and brand swap - can I ask what brought that on? : )))

XR chic
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 20:23   #4 (permalink)

Check the rotors. There will be two off-centre grooves in the face of the rotor. Also look for painted callipers. Not sure if these will have Ford markings or PBR which is the mob Ford source these from.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 20:28   #5 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

The calipers will be either blue or black, seems most people are getting black know with their Ford cars as compared to the standard FPV brakes which are blue.
Only the front will be coloured, the back is just standard. The Front an rear discs both have very noticable grooves in them running around the disc. Very easy to pick up on. The Brembo's are only an option on FPV cars an have red calipers.
Congrats on ya purchase by the way.

I did have an XR8 ute with prem brakes but unfortuantly they don't work when ya going sideways!! But they do pull ya up bloody quick in a straight line and i had no squealing probs with them either unlike quite a few members on this site.
Check out a thread in the FPV section on the prem brakes to find out a lil more about them.
Cheers......Nath
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 22:20   #6 (permalink)

Thanks "The Shark", "XRchic" and "Bearman" and "flavze".

Sounds like the easiest way will be to compare with a standard XR/XT, and I'm sure there will be at least one of those at the dealer (Peter Warren, Smithfield, Sydney btw).

XRchic: I have owned HK, HT, HQ, VR & VT Holdens, plus a few other cars, and currently have a supercharged-V6 VT-II S-pack. After sampling the latest performance offerings from Holden, Ford and (may god forgive me) Mitsubishi, I decided that I liked the Falcon more than the Commodore by enough to "switch camps". The relatively easily enhanced performance of the XR6T was also very attractive.

flavze: I'm checking the FPV forum now, ta.
Old 03-10-2004, 22:32   #7 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Quote:
Thanks "The Shark", "XRchic" and "Bearman" and "flavze".

Sounds like the easiest way will be to compare with a standard XR/XT, and I'm sure there will be at least one of those at the dealer (Peter Warren, Smithfield, Sydney btw).

XRchic: I have owned HK, HT, HQ, VR & VT Holdens, plus a few other cars, and currently have a supercharged-V6 VT-II S-pack. After sampling the latest performance offerings from Holden, Ford and (may god forgive me) Mitsubishi, I decided that I liked the Falcon more than the Commodore by enough to "switch camps". The relatively easily enhanced performance of the XR6T was also very attractive.

flavze: I'm checking the FPV forum now, ta.
Well, congrats on your purchase anyway - I hope you really enjoy the turbo. I just have the regular XR6 but have had APS unichip in it so at least I get something more than the average XR6... And yes, the turbs are SOOOO easily enhanced, to really insane degrees!

I too, will admit, now that you have, that I also test drove a Magna VR-X last year. The model previous, not the current fugly one. Anyway, I was not too thrilled when taking the car up Windy Point Rd (those in Adelaide will understand this), which is very windy (lots of bends), and the front drive ripped the wheel out of my hand when I accelerated out of the bend..... Liked the manual box though. Anyway, the dealers were so rude to me the whole time, wouldn't talk to me, just talked to my Dad, etc....so I left there in a rage, drive across town and bought my current BA Beast then and there! It just scares me how close I came!!!!

And yes, the best way to check your brakes is to compare others on the showroom floor on the day. You will see the difference, mainly in the grooves. I have heard that the premium brake package is definitely worth having, so congrats on that choice too! You will have to update us when you get it!

Also, since you are obviously smart enough to check your cars specs properly on delivery, check your paint thoroughly, in the sun if you can. I didn't check properly and found the rear door was a different colour about a week later in the sun. It is black and the rear door was a milky greyish black. Suffice to say, the entire side of the car has been resprayed not once but TWICE and there have been a lot of dramas with it. If it has a problem when you look at it on the day, refuse to accept delivery of it and make them get you another one.... you have much more power over them if they do not yet have your money!!! You probably know this anyway, but just checking.

Oh and don't take it through any car washes. The laser guidance system in the BP ones see the XR badge on the side skirts and thinks they are wheels. It then engages the very harsh wheel scrubbers onto the bottom of your rear doors and proceeds to take paint off, or at least scratch it badly. BP are fixing it, but the dramas are not worth it. Some other XRs have ended up worse than mine has - some have had entire layers of paint ripped off!

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the BEAST!
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 03-10-2004, 23:44   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I too, will admit, now that you have, that I also test drove a Magna VR-X last year. The model previous, not the current fugly one. Anyway, I was not too thrilled when taking the car up Windy Point Rd (those in Adelaide will understand this), which is very windy (lots of bends), and the front drive ripped the wheel out of my hand when I accelerated out of the bend ...
Torque steer is why I swore never to own another FWD car, after having a Suzuki Baleno as a 2nd car a few years ago.

Quote:
... Anyway, the dealers were so rude to me the whole time, wouldn't talk to me, just talked to my Dad, etc....
They did the same thing when my wife and I were out looking for a car for her. Fortunately, she, like you obviously are, is not ignorant about cars. So each time the sales guy spoke to me, I said nothing, and my wife would answer, and re-take control of the conversation.

Quote:
...Also, since you are obviously smart enough to check your cars specs properly on delivery,...
Anyone buying a new car should do a thorough before taking delivery. I have done it a few times, and always make up a check list to take with me. Once you get there, and are dazzled by your new steed, you tend to forget a few things. Well, I do anyway!

Quote:
... check your paint thoroughly, in the sun if you can. I didn't check properly and found the rear door was a different colour about a week later in the sun...
I've added that to my checklist. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
...Oh and don't take it through any car washes. The laser guidance system in the BP ones see the XR badge on the side skirts and thinks they are wheels. It then engages the very harsh wheel scrubbers onto the bottom of your rear doors and proceeds to take paint off, or at least scratch it badly...
Nice !! ..... NOT.
I reckon it's got to be a hand wash, or no wash.

Quote:
Anyway, good luck and enjoy the BEAST!
Thanks.
Old 03-11-2004, 00:22   #9 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Yes, and reading on this site, there have been many problems with paint, I am not alone! Some have commented on a striking resemblance to zebras - where there are alternating lines of dull and shiny paint. And it happens with most colours, particularly black, Blueprint and I think Blood Orange.

Well as far as the salesman went at Mitsis, I just walked out and rang them a week later to tell them they lost a sale (I was gonna buy it then and there) and that I bought a Ford.... they ended up not making their sales quota that month, which is not unusual anyway I guess...

As for the car was, totally agree. Gotta wash it yourself. Only thing is that I broke my foot and had trouble washing it for a bit - and thought that car wash was a good one and the next best thing... Did I EVER learn my lesson! I am just out to warn other XR owners, in case they ever succumb to the urge to get lazy or whatever, because it appears this fault with the washes is Australia wide! BP told me that themselves!

Was entering mine into a comp this week - not so anymore.

Oh, I also went from a Festiva to the XR - but I never had the torque steer problem in that badly as I experienced in the Magna! Probably has to be a 4WD Magna (Ralliart) or not at all, but that kit on the Ralliart put me off permanently.

A checklist is a very good idea for delivery date - an example that others, including myself should follow!

Cheers
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

O.F.R. # 138
Old 03-11-2004, 03:07   #10 (permalink)
OFR #7

Quote:
You won't have any problems identifying the premiums.

The front calipers will be black (only FPV product is blue) with the Ford "oval" and PBR in white lettering, they are also significantly larger than the standard front calipers as are the front rotors when compared with the standard units.

As mentioned the rear calipers are standard, however both the front and rear rotors have circular grooves which you can't miss.

Finally, they stop fantastic, just the damn squealing is annoying.

Enjoy the ride, I know I am!

APS Stage II = 267rwkw = 12.16@118.5mph on street tyres
Big Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes