Ford Forums banner

How do I make AU XR8 wheels fit an XF

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  headsex 
#1 ·
Hey guys
somewhere on here there is a pic of a green XF Turbo with a set of AU1 XR8 wheels on it . I understand the offset is different to mine but the stud pattern is the same> How do you make them fit? Does anyone know what the offset difference is between these two hubs>? I have an oppurtunity to purchase a set of these wheels minus rubber for $500. Is it simply a case of getting wheel spacers???

#2 ·
Mate i think the XF you are talking about had a set of AU Tickford copies on it made to fit a XF/EA.

But i have heard about spacers before, don't know what they are or how they work, or for that matter, what they are actually trying to fix....if the stud pattern is the same yet the offset is different, i don't understand?

#4 ·
Gee sorry Martin did not mean to put you out mate
not all of us are perfectly familar with the way this works

#5 ·
ive had a good look at the photos of that XF and he has definatley used spacers if you can dig up the pic have a look how far the rim is from the hub its about 2cm off

just think of all thestress on the poor studs

there is no way i'd chance running spacers - im about to fit AU IRS and front end to safely run AU on wheels its a big dollar operation to my car i know but at least i know that while traveling at 120 odd kph my wheels wont fall off and the car fly through the air rolling and rolling.....

just buy a set of AU 2 XR copies mate or if you can chance finding a set of AU1 copies snap em up quick coz i dont think they make em anymore just old stock left

#6 ·
there's already one of this at the start guys.

#7 ·
Spacers are actually illegal on cars unless fitted from factory :D

changes the axel width on the car, might not look like much (a matter of an inch or 2) but none the less, their still illegal, i know of a few ppl that have been stung by the modification nazi's for having them.

Az

#9 ·
MADNC_8 said:
ive had a good look at the photos of that XF and he has definatley used spacers if you can dig up the pic have a look how far the rim is from the hub its about 2cm off

just think of all thestress on the poor studs

Actually, each wheel has 10 studs.. the original 5 studs are used to fasten the spacer to the hub, and the Spacer/adaptor, has another 5 studs to fasten the wheel... You can actually get this setup engineered and legal..

I think your thinkin about the spacer, with the extra extra long studs so they come out of the hub, thru the spacer, into the rim to get fastened.. thats extreamly weak

#10 ·
That green xf is my mates.......they are genuine AU Tickfords no aftermarket copies.........he is running a spacer welded onto the rim and running longer studs........headsex: they arent weak, that xf makes a claimed 565hp at the wheels and it hasnt let go of a stud yet.

#12 ·
xf6250 said:
That green xf is my mates.......they are genuine AU Tickfords no aftermarket copies.........he is running a spacer welded onto the rim and running longer studs........headsex: they arent weak, that xf makes a claimed 565hp at the wheels and it hasnt let go of a stud yet.
I thought Dave's wheels were not welded. He ran the spacer with double studs..... Thats what he said when i asked him. anyways, i dont really care :)

You going to be at mk's this weekend for the dyno shootout? :>

#13 ·
headsex said:
Actually, each wheel has 10 studs.. the original 5 studs are used to fasten the spacer to the hub, and the Spacer/adaptor, has another 5 studs to fasten the wheel... You can actually get this setup engineered and legal..

I think your thinkin about the spacer, with the extra extra long studs so they come out of the hub, thru the spacer, into the rim to get fastened.. thats extreamly weak
i havent actuallly seen the car all i saw was a photo of it i just noticed the gap between the hub face of the rim and the actual hub and thought that it looked a little odd

i have heard about the spacer kits and would be verry interested in getting a set can you shed any light on where he got them from??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.