How wide on 68 XR rear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 16:40   #1 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

How wide on 68 XR rear

Okay folks i would like to find out how wide some of you people have gone on the back of the old X-Series. I am thinking on mini tubing it any way but would like to See how wide i can go first. So let me no please. OH as i am an old bugger can you tell me in inch's please.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2006, 00:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: How wide on 68 XR rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch7472
Okay folks i would like to find out how wide some of you people have gone on the back of the old X-Series. I am thinking on mini tubing it any way but would like to See how wide i can go first. So let me no please. OH as i am an old bugger can you tell me in inch's please.
hey john, the best i got under there was 8.5 inch, with a 5inch offset if i remember rightly.the diff was shortened but i cant remeber how much, i think it was 2inches,1 each side. This enabled me to get these wheels under the car without any body modifivations. Oh i also had the springs reset and stregthened.
I will get a picture up for you later, but i only have a couple of digital ones but it should give you an idea.
compact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:57   #3 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by compact
hey john, the best i got under there was 8.5 inch, with a 5inch offset if i remember rightly.the diff was shortened but i cant remeber how much, i think it was 2inches,1 each side. This enabled me to get these wheels under the car without any body modifivations. Oh i also had the springs reset and stregthened.
I will get a picture up for you later, but i only have a couple of digital ones but it should give you an idea.
Thanks that would be a great help.
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 23:37   #4 (permalink)

I have an X.W. Fairmont with 9'' rear, with 15 x 10 and 295 x 50 x 15 tyres.....backspacing on wheels is 5.25'', but I have moved the springs ,inboard 1/2''. Standard wheel tubs,with guard lip rolled up.
If you don't want to go to this much trouble.
You can fit 15 x 10 rims with 5'' backspace and 275 x 50 x15 tyres,bolt straight on with the x.w. or x.y. length 9'' diff.
cheers.
460BBXW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:02   #5 (permalink)

Hi giys on my xy wagon i have had a 15x10 and 295/50/15 on a s.a magnum. The wheels on my profile pic are centerline pro stocks 15x8.5 3/38th back spacing and 235/60 eager's sat just on rolled part of guard. As car is off the road now i have a shortened by 40mm a side xy 9" with 8.5 convo pro's and 275/50 15's and they sit right under they are 3/38th's back spacing. I am keen to try a 10 now. I am now mini tubbing to the chassis rail and mounting the spring's inboard and will run 15x10 convo pro's with a 15x12x15 mickey thompson sr radial, costly to do but look's good hence i have the 8.5's and 275/50/15's for sale. Brand new
AZZA
azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes

Related Reading: How wide on 68 XR rear