Hydraulic suspension - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2002, 05:28   #1 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

Hydraulic suspension

Does any one know if its Legal to have hydraulic on a road car????
the type they have on the lowriders and that.

i want to put it into a XP coupe

Old 04-25-2002, 07:14   #2 (permalink)
EF2 Fairmont

From what ive heard I heard its illegal, but then ive heard of cars such as a Limited Ed Mazda 929 having electonically controlled suspension, 3 ride hights at a push of a button
mr^messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

the old citroen's had hydralically adjustable suspension. They had a lever on the console that you could use to adjust the ride height whilst driving.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 18:31   #4 (permalink)
Dreamer

its hard to determine if its legal or not, with all the different states having different laws, the only way to find out, is if you ring you local road authority group.

there are companies who do make these kits for about $3500 onwards and have travel of around 6". Its an airbag system, so its pneumatic (sp??) rather than hydraulic.

and XP lowrider would be farken sweets tho :)
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:48   #5 (permalink)

Even the current top of the line Citroen still have it, so does the Range Rover, Merc S-Class.

EA Ghias and NA Fairlanes/LTDs also had height adjustable rear suspension (not hydraulic though).

The 626s, 929s and MX6s also had a similar setup to the Falcon?
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 18:22   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Other cars to feature a form of this as standard include the Audi Allroad, Lexus LX470, KR Mitsubishi Verada Xi and early '90s Subaru Liberty GX AWD wagon. A friend of mine had an '80s 626 which had suspension adjustable for hard/soft settings, but not height.

Self levelling is even more common being fitted to upmarket BMWs including the V8 X5 and the original WH Statesman/Caprice.

Having looked into this kind of thing myself, I concluded that the best option was height adjustable (non-electronic) shockers. The issues with cost and longevity concerns are far more reasonable.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 18:26   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

I would avoid the hydro's I would go with an air ride suspension.

They are better and they are more reliable. I can get either. But i recomend a Air ride. They can rise and lower just as fast as a hydro set up. The hydros you have more equipment.

I can provide more info if you like'
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 16:48   #8 (permalink)

This is actually a good topic, since I've now been considering putting some on the Impala I'll be buying. But have no idea where to start here in OZ.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 02:27   #9 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearly-XF
This is actually a good topic, since I've now been considering putting some on the Impala I'll be buying. But have no idea where to start here in OZ.
There was an ad in the trading post in SA for a guy that is dealing them out of salisbury.
I think hydralics would be illegal because you remove the shock absorbers and replace the springs with heavy duty ones so it will bounce.
Who gives a F tho DO IT lowriders r kewl!
Old 04-28-2002, 12:48   #10 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

If you do Hydro: make sure that you get the rear axle reinforced. Even if you do not do hopping with it you will want this. The problem being is that your rear axle on the early impala's are weak and can not stand the constant movements on it. I have seen way too many here snap in just the simple up and down they did. These guys dont hop their cars.

It should not be illegal to replace your suspension with a hydro setup. Technically it is a replacement of your shicks for hydrolic lifts and your prings are retained. YOU do not have to change out to heavier springs for a Hydro Setup. Most of the guys remove their springs for daily driving here. with the constant up and down laying frame and raising to drive. Your springs would be shot to hell quickly even heavy duty springs. You are giving up a ton of ride quality with hydros. I HIGHLY RECOMEND AGAINST getting them.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes