I had enough of shaking wheels! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2003, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I had enough of shaking wheels!

OK - for the last three months I have spents hundreds of dollars trying to iron out wheel vibes in my mags. Ever since I've had them (second hand) they have been causing trouble. Now, I have not yet had them fully inspected for all sorts of wierd things that can go wrong (like hub centres, eliptical running etc) and will do shortly.

Now, what can cause steering wheel shudders at 80km/h+ and rear wheel shudders 80km/h+ ?

I have had on car balances, wheel balances, allignments you name it, and I still ahve this problem. they best its been is at about 110 you can only just feel it vibe, but 115" and you got 10mm shudder in the steering wheel.

Is there something seriously farked with me ED, are the mags seriously farked, or is my steerin rack rooted, something loose? Wheels bearings have been tightened so it houldn't be an issue.

What gives, nothing else turns at high speed. I fI don't solve this I will sell the car because its that bad. And I didn't have this problem with the standard rims.

HELP SAVE THE FORD!
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2003, 02:55   #2 (permalink)

One thing you might want to check is the actual balance of your tyres. When I had my toyos fitted (almost up for replacement now) I remember watching the guy fit them. He fitted the tyre, and then rotated it on the rim and got an almost perfect balance before using the smallest weight to finish it.

Maybe you have already checked it but that's all I can think of

Cheers

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 05-09-2003, 04:49   #3 (permalink)
cArSiK

Re: I had enough of shaking wheels!

Quote:
Originally posted by 94ED_Fairmont
Is there something seriously farked with me ED, are the mags seriously farked, or is my steerin rack rooted, something loose? Wheels bearings have been tightened so it houldn't be an issue.

What gives, nothing else turns at high speed. I fI don't solve this I will sell the car because its that bad. And I didn't have this problem with the standard rims.

HELP SAVE THE FORD!
94ED,

Ok , its isnt all that hard to find out if the vibration is caused by your wheels or a fault in the suspension/steering system.

Go out and borrow a set of balanced steel wheels , or any wheels for that matter - can be 14' , 12' 17' , dosent matter. Fit them and go for a drive. If it turns out your car is fine (no vibration with new wheels- dah) sell the wheels , if its the car keep the wheels and sell the car!

It aint that hard!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 06:24   #4 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

What brand are the tyres? I've had bulk problems with Goodyear separation causing just this - sometimes it's only just detectable by eye but it gives a mighty vibration back through the steering wheel. Also it seems to manifest itself as a balance problem - there's a critical speed at which is at it's worst - but you can drive out of it. I've heard that Firestone & Dunlop are as bad. I'll be going back to good Jap tyres from now on - it's just not worth the hassle.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 19:35   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

No probs with the std rims makes it really sound like the mags / tyres on the mags are the problem . . . ( could triple check by borrowing a 3rd set of wheels and checking they don't cause an issue . . )

Regardless of whether the elliptical / hub testing on the mags shows a problem, why don't you just give them the flick ?

If their second hand, who knows what they've been up to previously, also if second hand hopefully they didn't cost that much ?

I'd get rid of em . . seems crazy to change your car when you could change your wheels instead . . .
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 19:42   #6 (permalink)

i dunno what my wheels are like in terms of shaking, but my steering wheel can vibrate a bit at times, only over about 80km/h and it won't always happen, i just live with it.
when i lower it, things will be adjusted so maybe that'll fix it
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I only paid $600 fo rthe rims, but I also payed $400 for tyres so its $1000 all up. Maybe I can sell them and get some 17" for about $1500.

I am worried though that it could be something to do with the suspension. Where's the best place to take the car to get that sort of thing checked? After I get the wheels analysed ofcourse!
Old 05-10-2003, 01:25   #8 (permalink)

Do you have lock nuts and if so are they roughly the same dimesion as the other 4 nuts,
When I bought a set of lock nuts 6 months ago they were half the size of the factory ford mag wheel nut and the car vibrated like hell.
Got new larger lock nuts which you cant balance when fitting tyres and its perfect .now
Old 05-10-2003, 01:53   #9 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

All 5 nuts are lock nuts, so your saying they could have a slightly too small diametre? Good point...
Old 05-10-2003, 02:43   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

My suggestion is get yourself a set of stock 15inch wheels with standard size tyres and also some normal wheel nuts (all of them). Put them on and go for a drive and you will know what it is!

Also why have you got five locknuts on each wheel? And all different too, thats a bit silly IMO.

Good luck with it.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes