Ford Forums banner

I had enough of shaking wheels!

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  YOOT 
#1 ·
OK - for the last three months I have spents hundreds of dollars trying to iron out wheel vibes in my mags. Ever since I've had them (second hand) they have been causing trouble. Now, I have not yet had them fully inspected for all sorts of wierd things that can go wrong (like hub centres, eliptical running etc) and will do shortly.

Now, what can cause steering wheel shudders at 80km/h+ and rear wheel shudders 80km/h+ ?

I have had on car balances, wheel balances, allignments you name it, and I still ahve this problem. they best its been is at about 110 you can only just feel it vibe, but 115" and you got 10mm shudder in the steering wheel.

Is there something seriously farked with me ED, are the mags seriously farked, or is my steerin rack rooted, something loose? Wheels bearings have been tightened so it houldn't be an issue.

What gives, nothing else turns at high speed. I fI don't solve this I will sell the car because its that bad. And I didn't have this problem with the standard rims.

HELP SAVE THE FORD!

See less See more
#27 ·
How does worn ball joints sound?

When i had trouble with my ABS tone wheel sensor and had the car on the hoist, I was told that one of the ball joints was.... something... worn maybe not sure can't remember.

The steering is definately a little vague, plus the intermittent wobble that is related to speed. If I go around corners it seems to stop.

Sloppy ball joints? Sounds good to me, however I am still going to have to get it checked out by a professional.

#28 ·
Well the car is getting a 28 point safety check at pedders on monday just to be sure, but chances are small that there is something in the suspension causing the shudder.

Through experience, my mechanic has said that my style of mags are prone to going out of round regularly. They are a spider type design and lack crucial support. The can be rolled out but I may not want to persue that option.

I am still going to try a set of wheels of my mates EF on tuesday next week.

Wish me luck! :s5

#29 ·
how old are the tyres, and were they on another car before yours?

sometimes fitting wheels to a car, driving for like 10,000km then removing them and putting them on so they 'face; a different direction makes the bead seperate, and no amount of balancing will fix it - you need new tyres...

can you get other tyres fitted to the rims?

#30 ·
Problem solved! I swapped my front left mag with the back one and its all good. It seems the back one is out of round in some way. So I will look at replacing that one.

She smooth as a baby's bum up to 150... which is more than enough for 400m drag. :s2:

#31 ·
OK 94ED, let me jump on your thread here and state that I have been suffering major vibration problems in my '95 EF XR6. It kicks in at about 90km/h and gets worse the faster you go (not above 110 of course ;-)). I figured it was my wheels/tyres, but have just got a brand new set so it can't be that. I've also had my tailshaft, uni joints and diff all checked and I STILL have that damn vibration!! It seems quite noticeable when I lift off under acceleration, but is even there when coasting along in neutral (I have a manual).

Please, please save my sanity - any thoughts of what to look at?

Cheers

#32 ·
Could be a gearbox issue or maybe an engine mount or something that holes the gear box/eninge to the chassis is loose or broken.

After that its up to a suspension check to look for worn ball joints, wheel bearings can be loose, tie rod ends can be sloppy or maybe just sell the Ford... trust me, I ain't keeping me beast much longer :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.