I want handling ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 17:56   #1 (permalink)

I want handling !

ok i have an EAII and at the moment it has a set of lovel blues, a heavy set of 12 slotters, big wide tyres (245 rear, 235 front) and random shockos

now what i was thinking was
keep the lovell blue springs, a set of monroe shocks, get my other set of 15" snowflakes and spend a decent amount on tyres and a camber/caster kit

should i sell the snowflakes and get elgt 17's or will the handling deteriorate with those size rims on my poor old ea?

what are your opinions
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 18:07   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Re: I want handling !

The only suspension mods I've done are lowering (King lows in the front and XR rear spring) and ED XR sway bars (same size as EF standard ones). The front shocks are stuffed and it still handles great. Tyres are cheapo crap, it'll be even better with decent ones.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 19:18   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I'd take it to a reputable suspension joint and get them to give you an estimate as to what needs doing, and then plan from there...
Old 05-08-2004, 04:16   #4 (permalink)
FPV-TC ACT Member

Yep, I agree with EBXR - good advice. Go to a susp shop and get them to have a look.

Handling comes down to:

- Springs and shocks. Spend your money here first as a priority.
- Tyres. Next step. Get decent rubber or else the benefits of your suspension are somewhat negated. Wider is NOT necessarily better!
- Wheels. Less weight the better. Remember the old days when MAGS actually meant Magnesium allow material resulting in lighter weight. I laugh at some guys that run those BIG HEAVY chrome 17 or 18 inch wheels. Geez, try running with a kilo of lead on your shoes!!

Last thing - camber / castor kit. Get the rest setup first and it'll determine whether you'll need it or not.

Lets not forget a good wheel alignment and balance as well. Some of the "polished" wheels (usually 2nd hand where the owner had them sand-blasted & polished) often take off a heap of metal that makes it really hard to balance properly. Stay clear of used wheels if possible and go for a reputable brand.
bushute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:19   #5 (permalink)
FPV-TC ACT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
The front shocks are stuffed and it still handles great.
What? How can something with STUFFED shocks handle great? I'd hate to see what your definition of bad handling is.

No malice intended mate :))
bushute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:12   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Maybe I got used to the fronts being buggered, but they were pretty shot when I put the springs in. They go all the way in but take a while to come out again. And it still handles great, I think I take corners too fast.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:32   #7 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Quote:
I'd take it to a reputable suspension joint and get them to give you an estimate as to what needs doing, and then plan from there...
Pedders is not a reputable suspension place BTW They've had too many bad reports from most people on here - always seem to want to replace perfectly good steering racks, among other things.....

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 17:09   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I agree with 'mongrelEB', in fact, I wouldn't bother taking it to a suspension shop at all.
Suspension is not rocket science, and with the right product, a few basic tools and 1/2 days work, you'll have your car handling like a dream.

I'd keep the Lovells as they are typically a very good single rate spring (which is good IMO).
If you're on a budget, grab some Monroe GT gas shocks, or if you have plenty to spare grab some Bilstien or Koni shocks.

Replace all rubber bushes with polyurethane. Throw on a 30mm front sway bar.

And whatever you do, don't put on a ratchet type camber kit, only use a shim type.
Give it 1/2 deg negative camber, between 4 and 6 deg positive castor and 1mm toe in.

I would also lean towards at least 17" rims with 235/45/17 tires as a minimum and anything up to 255/40/17 (on the rear). The benefits of a low profile / stiff sidewalled tire easily outweighs the weight disadvantage.

Your car will feel like a different machine after that and will easily be able to keep up with much more sporty cars.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 18:10   #9 (permalink)

Thanks heaps for the help ill look into it when i get some more dosh
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 01:39   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
And whatever you do, don't put on a ratchet type camber kit, only use a shim type.
Please, no one bother starting this argument up again ..
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes