KONI vs GT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 00:00   #1 (permalink)
Ambrose 2003 Champion!!!

Question KONI vs GT

Okay, I have to get new shocks for my EBII. Now im only 17, so I havnt got bucketloads of cash. I was wondering what would be the better purchase. KONI reds all round or Monroe GT Gas shocks all round? I am aware of the price difference, so paying so much more for KONIs, will i notice a better quality and durability. At the moment my car is running Pedders shocks and lowered springs. Thanks
EBII Falcon GLi - 5 speed manual, Cardinal Red, Pedders super-low springs, Koni reds all round, 18" AMG Quakes, tinted windows, extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust,Crow Cam, Pioneer 6X9s, Pioneer HU, XH Snorkle, K&N Filter, 5" Autometer Taco, Momo steering wheel, 2X10" Pioneer Subs, Clear Indicators

Marcos Ambrose & Ford - 2003 Champions!!
TURBO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 04:33   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: KONI vs GT

Koni's are worht their price difference. They will last longer and make the car handle better. It really comes down to how long you want to keep the car. No offence but I dont think it's worth putting Koni's in an EB for your first car. Wait till you get a later model car down the track then spend the big bucks on it and do everything right from there.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

i have Konis on my EB XR6 with superlows and they make a huge difference - i assume the ones you are thinking of are adjustable? mine are, i think i have them set on 1+3/4 turns from softest on the back and 2+1/4 from softest on the front, but dont take my word for it! i cant remember.

anyway, they are definately worth the money, and they can be rebuilt if they eventually do get 'worn out' i dont know if thats possible with the monroes.

just keep your old shocks, so if you ever do sell the car you can just put the old shocks back in, and put the konis in the new one (if its a pre-AU falc)

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:56   #4 (permalink)
XR82GO

Hands down buy the koni's there are heaps better and will last heaps longer as well.
If you can scrape up the cash get a set of externally ajustable ones.
I have a EA with pedders gear in it and a mate with the same sway bars bushes etc but used koni shocks and the difference is amazing. SO MUCH BETTER

If I have to buy shocks for anything again it will either be Koni's. The only other brand i might think about trying would be BLISTEN but they are a lot more $$$'s yet again.

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:58   #5 (permalink)
Ambrose 2003 Champion!!!

Anyone know where i can get KONIs from in the Lilydale/Bayswater area? Does Autobarn sell them?
EBII Falcon GLi - 5 speed manual, Cardinal Red, Pedders super-low springs, Koni reds all round, 18" AMG Quakes, tinted windows, extractors, 2.5 inch exhaust,Crow Cam, Pioneer 6X9s, Pioneer HU, XH Snorkle, K&N Filter, 5" Autometer Taco, Momo steering wheel, 2X10" Pioneer Subs, Clear Indicators

Old 10-25-2003, 16:33   #6 (permalink)
3FB Educator!

I have the yellow Konis that have the adjustment on top of the shock and they are exellent!
But for value for money KYB are an exellent choice.Better than the GT.
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 21:36   #7 (permalink)
Ambrose 2003 Champion!!!

For Koni reds front and rear, I got quoted $800 from Repco, not fitted, and $884 from Bursons, not fitted.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:11   #8 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

I would go for the Koni Shocks if you are planning on keeping the car. They last a long time and can be rebuilt.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 04:32   #9 (permalink)
Dc_todd

the koni reds are the non-adjustable (i'm sure I will get corrected if I'm wrong.) they are lightyears ahead of the monroe shock, a little info for you. pedders actually use monroe shocks and simply respray and put pedders stickers on them.. that should be your answer right there. so why replace what you already have? you will notice the "koni difference".. haha I should get paid for that plug.

Just a little futher.....almost there..

Ahh Frank, Did you hear something?
Don't worry, it'll buff out.
dc_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:02   #10 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_todd
the koni reds are the non-adjustable (i'm sure I will get corrected if I'm wrong.) they are lightyears ahead of the monroe shock, a little info for you. pedders actually use monroe shocks and simply respray and put pedders stickers on them.. that should be your answer right there. so why replace what you already have? you will notice the "koni difference".. haha I should get paid for that plug.
The Koni Red Shockers are adjustable. You need to undo the top of the Shocker, press the shaft all the way down and turn to adjust. The Yellow ones have a knob on the top to adjust.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes