Kumho Tyres - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 00:42   #1 (permalink)

Kumho Tyres

Anyone got any strong feelings (one way or another) on this brand for BA XR8 Sedan.
SS Cold Air Induction
BM Filter and 80mm Throttle Body
Go you good thing[/CENTER]
XRDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 00:47   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: Kumho Tyres

I've been using Kumho 712's for several years now, I can't fault them.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:42   #3 (permalink)

I've never had them or sold many but a lot of people are saying they're the duck's guts.
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:46   #4 (permalink)

I Reckon They Are The Worst Tyre For Tracking. I Just Put A Set Of Nexen Tyres On My Pursuit And They Are Cheaper Handle Better And Wear Better Then The Kumho's And The Original Dunlop Sp 9000
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:27   #5 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

I also had trackling problems on the NB. Just one tyre; whatever corner I would put it it would pull toward.

It is due a manufacturing fault causing what is called tyre conicity as a result of a belt being wound off centre. It does seem more common in the Kumhos; just the odd tyre not all but something very rare in most other brands. Anyway that was what the dealer told me when I complained and I have found some other people with large cars and Kumho with similar problems (but also many that hve used them regularly with no such problems). This type of fault is also more noticable when the tyres are on a long wheelbase vehicle and/here wider tyres are fitted.

I do use Kumho on my old 1980 1600 LC Lancer and they work fine but I would never fit them to a Fairlane again. The otherwise wear and perform well. I guess I would suggest buy them for the Falcon buit on the condition tha dealer warrants to replace any tyre than has a conicity problem (you will know straight away believe me).
Old 10-13-2004, 01:19   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlow
I've never had them or sold many but a lot of people are saying they're the duck's guts.
is this good or bad?
lol

I am getting a set of Kuhmo 711's on my new 17's on friday, for el xr6.. Anyone know anything on this style of Kuhmo's..

Cheers
Old 10-13-2004, 02:12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH
I Reckon They Are The Worst Tyre For Tracking. I Just Put A Set Of Nexen Tyres On My Pursuit And They Are Cheaper Handle Better And Wear Better Then The Kumho's And The Original Dunlop Sp 9000
Josh,

I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that Nexens wear and handle better than SP9000s. Not only do I have Nexens on my car now, but I used to wholesale them as well, so I'm pretty familiar with them. I've driven cars with SP9000s on them and Nexens don't grip nowhere nearly as well as the 9000s. As for wear, about 2 weeks ago, I took a set of 225/50R16 SP9000s which had done 63,000kays. I'd be ecstatic if my Nexens lasted me that long, which I know they won't.

Nexen is a great tyre for the money, but they are definitely not better than 9000s.
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 17:29   #8 (permalink)
still around... sometimes

Quote:
I am getting a set of Kuhmo 711's on my new 17's on friday, for el xr6.. Anyone know anything on this style of Kuhmo's.
Don't know about them, but i have Kuhmo (powermax or whatever) 769's on my ED and i think they're brilliant. The slightest hint of understeer in the dry, but in the wet they're magic. They have a high treadwear rating though (340) so they should last me a while.
Oh, and they shite all over the Eagle F1 goodyears on mums XR6. Honestly, they are crap on the rear of the car. In the wet, it's like when i'm running bald (195) 14's on the back of my ED in the rain. The front is good, but not the best under hard braking either.

Jared

- T04b 1.15 A/R
- 3" zorst
- big cooler
- DBA slotted rotors
- 17x8 AJR Directors
- kings superlows
- megasquirt
- T5
- not quite finished...
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 21:21   #9 (permalink)

The original set of SP9000's on my XR8 (18") were in need of replacing after 13,000 km's (that's when I purchased the car). Not sure how the previous driver drove the car but I would imagine he gave it some. Getting 63000 km from a set would be fantastic, but very rare I would imagine.

I've gone the Hankooks and they seem pretty good. They were the cheapest too ($270.00 each, half the cost of the Dunlops).

Falcon XR8 - "A car powerful like a Gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball"
BossyXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 20:08   #10 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Not for an XR8, but I can say what I know about Kumho tyres... mine are the 14" white-lettered 235-wide sticky buggers I've got on my ZH.

In the dry, I simply cannot unstick them on bitumen, which is probably a good thing. In the wet, they're the most frightening shockingly pathetically poor tyres I've ever encountered. Seriously. The fronts skip over any imperfections in the road and will push wide over a manhole cover at anything over 5km/h and the rears simply refuse to grip, even in a straight line - cornering is a joke. Driving in the rain has become a very unpleasant experience and as a result, I won't drive my car in the wet until I get new tyres, if I can help it.

Fortunately, that's not much of a problem up here in Brisbane (apart from today, that is!!). If the tread pattern and/or compound is the same as any other tyre anyone else is considering, walk way. But they do look good...
see?

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes