lay'n low... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2002, 05:39   #1 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

lay'n low...

I already had my EA lowered ages ago with superlow kingsprings but yesterday me and some of the guys at work took to the rear springs with the angle grinder. Needless to say it is now lookin SICK...tyres half under the guards look. We cut 1.5 coils off each side. The ride is a bit bouncier but I can live with that. There is still 100mm clearance under the car too (just). I might have a look at the front springs tomorrow. They have already been cut by the dude at the suspension place but I might chop another half a coil off to get the guard down to the top of the tyre. I know this sounds dodgy as but they are pretty hard springs so you can take a bit out of them and still have a reasonable ride.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2002, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
ex ea driver

SWEET, can't wait to c it next meet.
CATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 06:23   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

you cut the springs?????????

go buy some lowered springs and dont do something foolish like that again
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 06:34   #4 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

You goose. Bye bye insurance, if you have any. My EA has super low springs, and I hate it - scrapes on everything known to man, I wished I'd gone for just the low height.

You could cause damage to your car if you do any serious cornering with that setup.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:40   #5 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

thats Special!

sounds Phat. and bodgy.

i like
Old 07-10-2002, 06:48   #6 (permalink)

did you use oversize 4l OHC rings in your 3.9 EA donk too?
but at least your a battler and do things this aussie way by being inventive rather emptying your wallet.

chuckle chuckle....
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:29   #7 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

SPHELL!!

Now your car's tailshaft will hit the body when its fully loaded or when you changes the gears very quickly.The EA's don't have the bump stop above the diff EB and XF back do but EA's missed out so the tailshaft comes up and hits the body very badly.I found this out when pedders gave me super lows instead of lowered stage 2,looked sick like you said but was not partical.Cut springs are also illegal too I think as they have a tendency to pop out at speeds.

Just my thoughts.

Cya Lukey.

New Appointed REP 4 EA-ED club.
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 18:24   #8 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

hahahaha I knew I'd get a lot of relpys just like this....

settle down guys, it's not as bad as it seems. For a start, I already had Superlow Kingsprings, I didn't cut the original springs. The guys's at Ford and Suspension City said you can cut Superlow's a bit with no problem. Secondly, I don't know how Kingsprings can call their springs 'Superlow' because they aren't. I've seen numerous other EA's that were much lower. I've got 17" wheels and the rear guards used to sit just above the top of the tyre. Other EA's I saw getting around had their wheels into the guard. I dunno what springs everyone else is using but there is obviously no problem going a bit lower if a heap of other cars are the same. Lukey, I've been driving on some pretty shitty roads and even going over my driveway (which consists of bricks in a gutter) it doesn't scrape...as I said it's still legal (100mm clearance) and this is with about 80kg of audio install in the back and a full tank of fuel. Tailshaft is also ok.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 19:11   #9 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Must Look Fantastic SPHELL.... Can't wait to see the thing.

Just on that tail shaft issue... I have had countless problems with it(Iím using super lows). After putting in the manual, the control arm bushes wore out, and the tail shaft would rub under straight line acceleration, no bumps. If I had a full car, it would rub over almost any bump, and I could not accelerate more then 1/4 throttle.
It's a pain in the ass!!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 19:28   #10 (permalink)

Sweet, I gotta see this thing. I thought your car looked awesome before, I can only imagine how good it looks now. Also, your car rode quite well when you took me for a spin so if it isn't much worse then all should be good
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes