Legalities of superlow on XF in QLD? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 23:26   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Legalities of superlow on XF in QLD?

My car is currently reg in NSW and im moving to QLD and with transfer the car and get a licence in QLD in early feb.

Right now i have a set of superlows and are wondering if it will be all above board installing them. I dont want to have to take them out and put them back in again. Does anyone know the laws with height and travel length? Im pretty sure ive read on FF that you have to retain 3/4 original travel.

At the moment im sticking with the standard shocks as they are only a year old. Are there any problems with these?

Im thinking i should maybe go to pedders once all the gear is on to see what they say. Can they do engineers cert for the car being lowered?

Also, my car has standard s pac rims (14") with 225s on the back and 215s on the front.

Pete
fordmuscle_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 14:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Legalities of superlow on XF in QLD?

Do some research boy.

You can't use standard length shocks with superlow springs.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:37   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

i know its not best to, but is possible, and i am (just for a month).
Old 01-22-2004, 13:23   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmuscle_83
i know its not best to, but is possible, and i am (just for a month).
The shock may run out of travel at full bounce. Test it first by removing the spring and bumpstop. Lift the lower arm using a jack and see if the shock binds before anything else binds.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 14:00   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

QLD dont have yearly inspections like NSW, just stick some standard springs in it, get it changed over, then dump it again.

BUT check, when we moved from NSW to VIC as the car was already registered they just gave 12 months VIC rego and we claimed back the NSW rego that was left (less fee's of course), when my parents moved to QLD long time ago, they had to take the car over the pits to get QLD rego, but things may have changed.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:02   #6 (permalink)
Wheelman

here's the drum in Qld - you can go as low as you like as long as you have 100mm of clearance from the road to the lowest point on your car. That could be a muffler, diff, shockie mount or for the rice lads .... the neon lights ala 2 fast 2 furious.

Remember lower springs generally require shorter stroke shocks otherwise your shocks will underperform and die an early death. Do it properly.

G
Old 01-28-2004, 23:13   #7 (permalink)
XF 250 4.1 XFLOW TURBO

me xf has been lowered professionally with pedders (previous owners) but i has only been lowered 2.5 inchs and i wants to put superlows in so i should be able to do that without changing shocks shouldn't i
blueovalxfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:44   #8 (permalink)

This is the only way to do it properly, Kings lows with rod hadfield drop spindles, looks great and still retains travel.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:52   #9 (permalink)

The main problem I have been told, with the XF's when they are lowered to such a great degree, the lower control arm etc is extended, as it sits by default on an obtuse angle to retain wheel angles at properly. So alot of the time, when people just dump their XF's, even some other cars, they get alot worse handling. If you do the job "PROPERLY", ie, get proper lengthened control arms, radius arms etc then that's when you start getting the benifets.
X.treme.F.ury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 18:04   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr
This is the only way to do it properly, Kings lows with rod hadfield drop spindles, looks great and still retains travel.
How much do these cost? Your ZL looks like its at a perfect height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes