Loss of Traction - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2002, 07:39   #1 (permalink)
PHIL82

Loss of Traction

Yesterday it was raining cats and dogs in Brisbane.

I stopped at a set of red lights and started to pour heavy rain straightaway... once the lights went green, I hit my accelerator down halfway (a bit of wheelspin there) after 50 km/ph I floored the accelerator and there was this sudden abrupt gear changing in my 4 spd auto.... my rear wheels suddenly slided sideways to the right... to my instincts... I turned the steering wheel a bit to the right and hit the accelerator lightly. that quickly corrected the steering... phew... it was on a busy road and cars were wayyy behind me.

My diff has no LSD.... would that be the reason to as why this happened after 50km/ph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2002, 10:23   #2 (permalink)

no the reason it did it is because you floored the accelerator. if you had a lsd it would have been more fun
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:16   #3 (permalink)

Haha, that's nothing special mate. My non lsd 3spd cfi EA can do that too. Surely you knew it would kickdown and the rear would break loose on you?!?!

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:03   #4 (permalink)
phreeky

fun?

i hate wheel spin normally, especially in traffic

i once pulled up at a three lane set of lights, went to the left to get around a truck. this left lane merges not long after the intersection.

went green, i tried to go easy. road must have been a little oily, was plenty of water too - the car didn't move for a few seconds. got it rolling, and any accelerator spun the wheels. changed to 2nd - same problem. changed to 3rd - not too bad, managed to JUST pull in front of this truck.

ok, wheel spin can be fun if you want it to happen, but it's an absolute pain in the arse when u don't want it
Old 05-02-2002, 12:49   #5 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Re: fun?

LOL... You guys should try driving a manual EA!

A lil story here.
A few weeks ago we took out my mates XD for a drive.
It has 11.5 inches or rubber on the back(each wheel), and about 500HPRW. It was a nice sunny day, no rain.
We overtook a car at about 100km/h, and I absoloutly shit myself when the back end lost traction as he hit 3rd gear.
We ended up passing the car sideways, giving the driver of the other car a little scare. My mate didn't think much of it, and said thats a pretty common occurance. God I love that car!
Old 05-02-2002, 15:39   #6 (permalink)
sikmick

Loss of traction is a lot of fun if its planned, i agree..
Last winter i was driving the ea and a friend of mine was driving his manual pintara (yea, i know huh) and we were gettin it sideways round every single corner possible..left hand and right hand corners.. Both the Ea and pinnie were limo'in up, it was goin crazy..chewed thru the juice tho..

The night all ended when i took a left and turned the wheel too hard (cause nothing was happening lol)
Went 180 degrees and backwards up the kerb, and hit a little tree/shrub..next thing passenger mirror flew off the car and i managed to completely wreck one of the S-Pac mags.

Mind you my girlfriend was in the car this whole time (she loves to see me get it sideways) LOL!!

EA SIDEAGE RULES!!
Old 05-02-2002, 18:14   #7 (permalink)

Boys and their toys He He,

A question for you Bass Crazy, I have a 91 EA 30th manual and 2 teenage boys, well bein a born FORD man, I had to show them up, prob is that nearly every time the old girl starts to get a really good spin the rear end starts to kangaroo hop, any known reason why (my old corti never had this prob). ????

Can't let a commie out do me.
lizzard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 14:07   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Are you referring to axel tramping??

I sometimes get this in 1st gear. I have never been given a straight answer as to what causes it, however, apparently it's mostly related to warn control arm bushes. Another factor is because there is no slip with a manual, the traction alterations are not disposed of. In an auto, the torque converter would absorb it.

There are a few upgrade kits on the market, I think Whiteline make some. This would probably help out.

On the other hand, my mate just imported a current model Spec R Turbo Silvia, and when we took it out for an ass whipping, it was axel tramping a fair bit.

I guess even the japs haven't figured it out yet.

Anyone else know anything about the topic?

Old 05-03-2002, 19:43   #9 (permalink)
IHaveAnEA

Axel Tramping....

My old VK Commordore (Yes I am a holden man, but hell, now I have an EA and I love em!) used to axel tramp big time if I tried lighting it up in reverse. I was told at the time it was the diff that caused it. However the EA I bought did it when I first bought it a little, but since the rear bushes were replaced its never done it again.... so rear bushes it must be....
Old 05-03-2002, 19:50   #10 (permalink)

Re: Axel Tramping....

yeah reverse seems to cause it worse.
speaking of losing traction a friend was reversing his EA down my driveway the other week and decided to light up the rear wheels.. anyway $500 later...
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes