Loud Air Ride Compressor on 99 Navi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 17:46   #1 (permalink)

Loud Air Ride Compressor on 99 Navi

I have a 99 Navi and the air ride compressor seems to be very loud. I don't know much about air ride systems but I'm certain that the compressor shouldn't vibrate that loud. It comes on a few seconds after you start it up and runs about 15 seconds and sometimes will come right back on a few seconds later. How is it supposed to work? Also, it comes on while riding. Something just doesn't seem right. If I remove the fuse to keep it from coming on will that affect the ride quality or make the suspension drop?

Please help, thanks!
amoorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 13:57   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Loud Air Ride Compressor on 99 Navi

I believe you might have an air leak in the system. Disconnecting the compressor can lead to poor ride quality but you shouldn't suffer too much. After starting the vehicle the compressor will run as long as it needs to until it reaches what's known as the 'cut-off' pressure (say 100psi). The compressor will turn on when the pressure gets low, say around 70psi. The compressor can be replaced as it's electronic, but I still suspect you have a leak in the system if the compressor has to cycle on and off regularly to maintain pressure in the suspension system.

Also, the rougher the road the more the suspension will travel and the more air will be exhausted from the system, so the compressor will run longer at times to maintain proper air pressure, especially if there is a leak. There are ways of checking for leaks on your own if you have a means to get under and around the vehicle safely.

Best thing to do is steal a spray bottle, and put half a cup to a cup of 100% hand soap, preferably colored (red works the best). Start the vehicle and allow the suspension to fill. Spray the soap around all the air fittings and related parts where the air lines connect. Providing the vehicle will maintain pressure for a while you can turn it off. Then, get a good work light and check every area you sprayed for small bubbles to narrow down the source of the leak.

If the compressor is louder than usual you may want to get it replaced instead of having it fail in a few months. Check online (ebay) or other local sources (salvage yard), as you'll probably find one for a steal!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 14:22   #3 (permalink)

Re: Loud Air Ride Compressor on 99 Navi

Thank you very much for your input. That really helps a lot. Just out of curiousity how many different parts could the air be leaking from?
amoorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes