the low down - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2004, 04:56   #1 (permalink)

the low down

hey all,

the low down (no pun intended):

I want to lower my 98 EL Fairmont, but retain a respectable ride quality. If i was to simply put super-low king springs on it, how long would the stock shockers last?

What is the best way to go about the whole lowering process?
Cheers, i'm kinda new to the whole ford thing (having just taken delivery of my baby on monday )
pully'sEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 03:30   #2 (permalink)
BlkEB2

Re: the low down

I'm about to lower my Eb Fairmont myself and have just purchased King Spring Lows as i did'nt want to go too low, but wanted improved handling, ride and looks. I asked my mechanic the same questions just today and his recommendations were to replace the shocks with the proper shorter units for the type of springs used as the originals are too long, and won't be working in the right areas when the suspension is under load.
He recommended Monroe GT Gas, (which i've now got) as it's not a race car, they're a reputable brand, and the price price very reasonable. It's also a good idea to change shocks with the springs as they're probly goin to give up not long after the springs go in, especially with super lows. Also...! you will need camber AND castor adjuster kits fitted as the geometry of the steeering will be drastically changed, therfore the kits will allow the front wheels to be aligned properly.....I have'nt got mine in yet but am keen to see the diff, will hopefully find out ova the weekend......
BlkEB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 16:34   #3 (permalink)
EL FAIRMONT GHIA

I have an EL ghia I6 i installed Lovells Superlows about 3months ago on Monroe Gas Shocks which the car came with when i bought it. The ride is excellent for a lowered car, it handles better (standard steering wheel is too big). The front tire is inline with front guard with the back being a little higher (id be happier if it was lower at the back) but overall i extreamly happy with the results.
Peztacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
FRITZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pully'sEL
hey all,

the low down (no pun intended):

I want to lower my 98 EL Fairmont, but retain a respectable ride quality. If i was to simply put super-low king springs on it, how long would the stock shockers last?

What is the best way to go about the whole lowering process?
Cheers, i'm kinda new to the whole ford thing (having just taken delivery of my baby on monday )
Lovells springs will give u more of a respectable ride quality than the kings would i think the Lovells my even be cheaper
fritzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
EL FAIRMONT GHIA

Front and back springs for my car cost $290 if i remember correctly. p.s thats not a trade price im sure you could get them cheaper if your mates with a mechanic
Old 12-05-2004, 21:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peztacular
I have an EL ghia I6 i installed Lovells Superlows about 3months ago on Monroe Gas Shocks which the car came with when i bought it. The ride is excellent for a lowered car, it handles better (standard steering wheel is too big). The front tire is inline with front guard with the back being a little higher (id be happier if it was lower at the back) but overall i extreamly happy with the results.

Did you get FRL-42SL or FRL-42XSL for the rear????
125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 21:53   #7 (permalink)
EL FAIRMONT GHIA

FRL-42SL im pretty sure.
Old 12-05-2004, 22:02   #8 (permalink)

i got my ef lowered with new sport rider shocks and it actaully handles just as good as before i lowered it, no more body role and its not as bouncy
Old 12-06-2004, 16:50   #9 (permalink)

The FRL-42XSL are about another 20mm lower
125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 21:57   #10 (permalink)

sensational, thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

i reckon i'll keep saving and go monroe gas all round with king superlows. might get a 3.45 diff put in at the same time :D
pully'sEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes