Ford Forums banner

Lower Timing Chain Dampner required?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  old_mate 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the lower timing chain dampner is viatally important as I have found mine broken in the oil sump, and when we were doing another EA we found the dampner in the sump of it as well. They seem to break off easily, so I was wondering whether it is worth the money going and buying another one from ford and putting it on. What does it actually do, as it only has a tiny amount of chain to guide between the crank and distributor gears, so surely it couldn't be too important?

Also i'm currently doing the timing on my engine, and at the TDC mark I have the cam parellel with the right hand side of the engine head(exact or 1-2mm lower) and I have set the distributor rotor arm *middle* to the middle of number 1 plug. Are these the optimum settings? I'm mostly worried about the spark timing as i'm not sure where the spark actually occurs on the rotor arm. Does the spark occur only after it gets to that middle point, or does the spark start at the edge of the rotor arm and continue to the end edge.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
Sorry but the mark should be 3 degrees above the head not below it; you sound like you are one link out. I assume you have the marks on the two lower sprockets aligned as well. The rotar has to be aligned with mark on the distributor while its at TDC (ie at point at number 1 while at TDC).

Replace the damper if you don't want a noisy or broken timing chain. The are often accidently broken when heads are replaced and they can go for ages without a problem but they don't cost much (non OEM ones are available from Veales, Repco etc) and its not worth the risk.

G
#3 ·
Are you sure about it having to be 3 degree's above the head? I want it to be at optimum setting for air intake/exhaust so i figure it being a little lower would be best so that the intake can open early. The gregories manual says that it should be level with the head, or 3 mm above... so the question is where is it better for performance, above the head or parellel with the head. I figured it would have been parellel with the head as thats what the cam has been made to.

#5 ·
I put my cam on level with head (or maybe just below) and my thing runs like a dog. Its nice and smooth, yes, but i can only scrub about 15 secs for 0-100....down low, its pathetic. Hyundais beat me

It seems to go like all hell after 4000rpm though....im not sure if it is the cam, most ppl have said its a likely cause, so I will check it this week. But no, dont play with cam timing too much, not unless you are using an aftermarket cam, in which u should install variable cam gear.

oh and for those of you who read i only managed 60 something RWKW the other day, my mate tells me that the Dyno he did the run on (local Ultratune) was sooo far out, a GEN111 Holden only managed 125 this morning....big software error in it, made it spit out stupid inaccurate readings.

But i know im down on power.....just by how much is the question

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.