Lowered EL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 03:40   #1 (permalink)

Lowered EL

Hi guys, on monday I'm getting my EL XR6 lowered on new 17's. Its only getting lowered 30mm or so.. Is there anything I should/shouldnt get? Do I need a camber kit? The job is costing $400 + $30 for alignment, does this sound resonable?

Any info would be great, THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2004, 04:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: Lowered EL

Lowering a xr6 30mm will take it to superlow hight so a c&c kit would probably be a good idea, you could be lucky though. For 400 I am guessing you are getting springs and installation. What condition are your shockers in?
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:07   #3 (permalink)

shocks/struts can be passed up if ur that way inclined, but i'd deffinately get a camber kit.
i know i need one :o
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:22   #4 (permalink)

most ELs need a camber kit, even if they arent lowered. you can get some adjustment without fitting a kit tho. you can get a small amount of shims between the body and the upper control arm mounts with the factory set up. i would recommend you get it lowered and then have a wheel alignment check done to see how far out the castor and camber are before fitting a kit that you may not need. any wheel aligner worth his salt will be able to fit shims to the existing setup.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:53   #5 (permalink)
ESP Man

I had my EL XR6 lowered 15-20mm today with new shocks all round.

My car already had been shimmed to the max but I'm told a camber kit is unlikely to be needed because by lowering it this automatically introduces negative camber into it.
Its going for a wheel alignment tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.

Even though this car only has 87000kms on it, the inner tie rod ends were both shot, and the bottom wishbone bushes and castor rod bushes are slightly worn. A wheel alignment workshop told me EL's are notorious for chopping out the wishbone bushes -one day they are Ok and suddenly they collapse. He recommended Fulcrum brand which are about $90 retail (not fitted) and this is about half the cost of other brands. So the new bushes are going in tomorrow before it goes for the wheel alignment
Old 11-03-2004, 04:12   #6 (permalink)
ESP Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
most ELs need a camber kit, even if they arent lowered. you can get some adjustment without fitting a kit tho. you can get a small amount of shims between the body and the upper control arm mounts with the factory set up. i would recommend you get it lowered and then have a wheel alignment check done to see how far out the castor and camber are before fitting a kit that you may not need. any wheel aligner worth his salt will be able to fit shims to the existing setup.
You are exactly correct.

Got the wheel alignment done without a camber kit. A few shims and its spot on
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes