Ford Forums banner

Lowered Springs + Shocks - Everyones Experiences?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Bluedriver 
#1 ·
OK this new car I'm gettin seriously looks gay, so in an attempt to rectify that I'm gonna dump it on its guts. It's a 91 Sedan

I'm thinking of going with Pedders super lows as I can get them the cheapest through work. What I want to know is what everyone else has done and what they're running, both Springs and Shocks. Progressive Springs or Progressive Shocks? Brands of shocks?

I am definitley gonna be throwing the springs in as soon as I get the car, the shockies will have to wait a while. I'll have the springs before I have the car, but I want to make sure that I plan this right now so that I get the right shocks matched to the springs. I dont want a really harsh ride but it must handle well, like if its on rails. Also whats the situation with Camber kits and the like???

#2 ·
What I have done for now is purchase $210 inc. postage Kings low springs from Lees Performance Parts, and I'll be getting shocks down the track.

#3 ·
I just installed a set of Low Kings plus had my original shocks rebuilt by TSR near moss street.

Fantastic. I love it. I also has the camber kit done earlier (it was a necessity) Body roll reduced tenfold, understeer lessened by a considerable amount, ride quality firm but not harsh, fun factor increased by 100%. btw, i got a set of slightly stuffed Pedders Sports Ryder shocks in the back.....I hate pedders. Its all Gabriel crap (although I hear they are asking Monroe to resupply them....)

If you wanna dump it on its nuts, go superlows, but then you got the hassle of scraping exhaust and tailshaft hitting the floor. Looks pretty mad though.....

#4 ·
yeah i have superlow king springs in my car, an you have seen how low that is.

you wont have to take quite as much care as me over driveways and stuff cause my bodykit is a little lower than standard EBs etc.

yes the tailshaft hits the body under very hard acceleration (clutch dumps, near flat-changing etc) but i am trying to figure out how to stop that, i will tell you as soon as i do.

i have rebuilt shocks in my car, there is a company in slacks creek that rebuild standard shocks to whatever specs you want.

i got them to do mine, cost less than $200 total for 4 shocks, revalved and shortened to suit the springs.

they are very slightly too soft for my liking, i will sell them to you for, say, $180 if you want, and i will get stiffer ones, i like a firm ride.

i will take you for a drive and you can see what you think.

the shocks have a 2 year 40,000k warranty and are only 2 months old. the company is 'TSR' 'The Shock Absorber Reconditioners and they do the shocks for the EA/VN racecars, cant remember the category name...

#5 ·
Ive got Kings Superlows and the only things that have scraped so far are the factory mudflaps, and even that isnt all that often.

I think the driveshaft may have hit the body a few times, but thats because it axle tramps like a biatch, and did that before I lowered it.:huh:

#7 ·
i got - low King Springs (30mm Lowered) with Monroe GT Gas Shockers all round.. the handling difference is unbelievable..

There is no body roll and the steering is so much better. Its definetly worth doing, i havent found a part of lowering the car that im not happy with. But watch your insurance, cause RACV has some pretty gay rules when it comes to lowering cars, as i found out..

Good Luck with it neway. PM me if you want any details etc.

#8 ·
I just recently got Pedders Sports Ryder suspension on my EL and I cant be happier with the final result. It has been lowered about 2.5-3" at the back and about 2" at the front.

Looks great and handles like a dream!

I cant really compare to other brands but I am happy with the final result and I would recommend Pedders to anyone.

#10 ·
Ed,

Apparently (and I mean that......apparently) Pedders shocks are nothing more than cheapish Gabriels (yeah, Supercheap flog em off) manufactured to their specs. I have a set of sports ryder rears, and i hate them. They are starting to make knocking noises and leak and do all sorts of nasty things (about a year old), too soft and yea, me hates them. A lot of people do like them though...

and another apparently is that Pedders are trying ever so hard to get Monroe to build them their shocks again....

#11 ·
I have recently had installed King springs and Monroe GT shockers in my car. It Dropped it around 3 inches at the back and 1 or 2 at the front. It handles like a dream (considering i have crap 14" rims with quite large profile tyres) and i couldn't be happier. One thing i have noticed though is the front seems a little bouncy sometimes if you're going over some large bumps. But I am more than willing to put up with this. I have only scraped a couple of times and thats when going into the crappy parking buildings in the city.
All up it cost me $700 installed fot both the spriongs and shockers

#12 ·
Hi guys,
I had to say my 2cents worth here as i see/hear many things are said out in the market with no real "facts" behind the comments....I am involved in the Aftermarket and especially in the Suspension side, i work for a Manufacturer.
Shockabsorber Manufacturer's like Tenneco/Monroe ArvinMeritor/Gabriel are not chasing the performance market (lowered shocks) they are volume produces OE and aftermarket for the family std motor car...
The product is made to a price and not expected to be the "ants pants". It lasts for the average motorist and thats all they want.
You get what you pay for ! PPL buy these brands because of the "price" and expect them to do the job on their lowered cars, well its a hit and miss that way, many things come into reasons why there are failures but the consumer blames the "new" shock they bought..
sikEA goes on about Pedders/Gabriel
Pedders product is made to there specs, that means not just compression/rebound forces , also type of welds,type of internals,type of high temp oil in the shock,type of rubbers etc..its like ordering a new car, you want a BA XT or GTHO with the lot...
They get the factory to make a shock for a lowered application so the the springs stay trapped and whats more important the shock works at mid stroke where its supposed to be so it won't bottom out as much, this happens alot using the std Gabriel/Monroes hence the leaking of top seals........
Now Pedder for over 10yrs had Gabriel make his product, very happy but nothing lasts forever in business, due to the low A$ (dropped to .50cents so therefore eroding nearly 50% of his margins) he needed to make some big decisions and there arn't too many options where to get your product made, Tenneco offered a great deal so i think now its about 4yrs they have made Pedder product for his car shocks, Gabriel still make all his 4WD shocks.
Horses for courses , some ppl dislike this or that but get the facts before you say something is "shit".....
Supercheap (used to sell Monroe) is no different to Repco who have sold Monroe forever at trade prices over the counter to the retail consumer, the workshop guys tell me this all the time...

Sorry for the long sermon

BD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.