Lowering??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2001, 23:21   #1 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Read Lowering???

Afternoon all,

I just bought a set of king springs for the XH, and i was wondering if anyone here has installed any themselves, and if so what tools are needed to do so. The suspension setup for the front is the same as an EF/EL BTW.

Thanks.
AusXH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2001, 01:27   #2 (permalink)
Chromed Member

Thumbs up

Yep.

All you need beside the basic tools are spring compressors.

Leave the top shock bolt connected, and only undo the three nuts around the shock tower. Get car up on jack stands or hoist. remove wheel and caliper. Drop the top ball joint by loosing the nut and belting it in the side to break the taper.May need someone to lever down on it too. Undo bottom shock bolt and feed out shock and spring together and put in vice standing upright. Compress spring, remove nut. Fit new spring. Refit in reverse order. you may need to expand the brake pad caliper to get them to fit back on. It may help to put marks on the spring and housing so that everything lines up.

?Good luck
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2001, 01:46   #3 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Thanks for that botch

Shouldn't be that hard :rolleyes: hehehe, nah sounds like a piece of piss.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:42   #4 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

ATTN: Botch.

I have finaly broken the taper after a lot of 'persuasion', but now i'm stuck as to how to simply undo botton shock and feed out. Am i supposed to take off the sway bay to releive pressure on the supestion assembly and the bottom shock bolt (which ATM is caused by the spring and shock), or compress the springs a little while they are still in the car???
Old 11-30-2001, 14:56   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Dude...

If you are prepared to wait a couple of hours... give mick a call and he can help you fit them.

He finishes work at Midas at midday.
Old 11-30-2001, 15:02   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Did you jack up both sides of the car? If not the sway bar will still be doing its job and forcing the lower arm up. This makes it real hard to get the lower arm out of the way!

You need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the shock unit. Then lever the lower arm and pull the entire shock unit out to the front or side (whichever proves easiest).

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 21:57   #7 (permalink)