Ford Forums banner

Lowering???

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AusXH 
#1 ·
Afternoon all,

I just bought a set of king springs for the XH, and i was wondering if anyone here has installed any themselves, and if so what tools are needed to do so. The suspension setup for the front is the same as an EF/EL BTW.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Yep.

All you need beside the basic tools are spring compressors.

Leave the top shock bolt connected, and only undo the three nuts around the shock tower. Get car up on jack stands or hoist. remove wheel and caliper. Drop the top ball joint by loosing the nut and belting it in the side to break the taper.May need someone to lever down on it too. Undo bottom shock bolt and feed out shock and spring together and put in vice standing upright. Compress spring, remove nut. Fit new spring. Refit in reverse order. you may need to expand the brake pad caliper to get them to fit back on. It may help to put marks on the spring and housing so that everything lines up.

?Good luck:nuts:

#4 ·
ATTN: Botch.

I have finaly broken the taper after a lot of 'persuasion', but now i'm stuck as to how to simply undo botton shock and feed out. Am i supposed to take off the sway bay to releive pressure on the supestion assembly and the bottom shock bolt (which ATM is caused by the spring and shock), or compress the springs a little while they are still in the car???

#6 ·
Did you jack up both sides of the car? If not the sway bar will still be doing its job and forcing the lower arm up. This makes it real hard to get the lower arm out of the way!

You need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the shock unit. Then lever the lower arm and pull the entire shock unit out to the front or side (whichever proves easiest).

#7 ·
XR8chic said:
Dude...

If you are prepared to wait a couple of hours... give mick a call and he can help you fit them.

He finishes work at Midas at midday.
Thanks for that Kelli, but i've been at work all day...

Aussie Pete said:
Did you jack up both sides of the car? If not the sway bar will still be doing its job and forcing the lower arm up. This makes it real hard to get the lower arm out of the way!

You need to undo the bolt at the bottom of the shock unit. Then lever the lower arm and pull the entire shock unit out to the front or side (whichever proves easiest).
*smacks self in the head*

That is so bloody ovbious, but did i do it? NO.

Thanks alot for that Pete, if only i had a way now to put the hair back in my head i tore out while trying to figure it out. :s3

#8 ·
ausxh, you dont need to use the spring compressors until after you get the shock (with spring still attached) out of the car.

DONT undo the nut at the top of the shock UNTIL you have the spring compressed just enuff to undo the nut...you dont need to fully squash the spring cos this = danger! I find it easiest to sit the shock upright in a vice, compress the spring, undo nut with rattle gun. Lift off spring off shock with top retainer plate thing still attached. Make sure that the rubbers and everthing line up before reffitting.

#9 ·
botch said:
ausxh, you dont need to use the spring compressors until after you get the shock (with spring still attached) out of the car.

DONT undo the nut at the top of the shock UNTIL you have the spring compressed just enuff to undo the nut...you dont need to fully squash the spring cos this = danger! I find it easiest to sit the shock upright in a vice, compress the spring, undo nut with rattle gun. Lift off spring off shock with top retainer plate thing still attached. Make sure that the rubbers and everthing line up before reffitting.
Thanks botch. Like i said i tried everything an anything to get them out except for raise the other side too. Any way it is finally done and i took your advice and used a vice. I'll post pics when they finnish downloading off camera.

Thanks all :s4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.