Lowering a 98 EL Fairmont?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 19:12   #1 (permalink)

Lowering a 98 EL Fairmont??

Hi everyone, I m new here and have just purchased a white 98 el fairmont. Any way i have plans for tinting windows, nice set of rims, and a great sonding exhaust - all in good time. the question i have is does anyone have any advice for where is the best place to go (Qld) to have my car lowered. Any advice on how to have it looking and riding best and what products are good etc. I guess i just wanna do it right and have it looking nice (not to low u cant drive it), so i thought id ask surely some one out there has been throught the process.
Also the eseries owners club, can anyone tell me what its all about and how i can join. Does it include el fairmonts etc.
Thanx for your help, this looks like a great forum.
Ewan
ELfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2003, 21:42   #2 (permalink)

If you're fairly mechanically minded you could lower it yourself. The parts are fairly inexpensive and the only non standard tools you need are a set of spring compressors which can be purchased for about $30 at autobarn (well they used to have them). You can buy King Low springs which lower it about 30mm for anywhere from $100-$150 a pair and they will work with the standard shocks. Buy a gregory's manual and follow the directions. Its a straight forward operation. I did mine by myself in about 5 hours. You just have to remember to take it straight to a wheel alignment place once your finished as your settings will have altered with the lower car. Anyway hope that helps.
l_jobling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 21:56   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Welcome to the forums mate - with regards to the Owners Club, see the following page for joining instructions: http://eafalcon.com/ownersclub/

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 15:17   #4 (permalink)

thanx for the reply

Thank you for your reply.
I have worked on previous cars b4 howvere i think i would feel better taking it somewhere rather than doing it my self. 30mm is that a nice ride height? Does anyone have any approx costs on having a place like pedders reform this?
Old 03-31-2003, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

It's personal preference really, I've found that with the EF and EL , the nose hangs out a considerable distance from the front wheels and hence tends to scrape things a fair bit. I have a mate with a VS commodore, a fair bit lower than mine (EL Fairmont also) and I've never seen him scrape the nose. The falcons look so good lowered but keep in mind the longer wheel base and the fact that scraping will be an issue. You could keep it slighly higher and get slightly wider tyres 215/65/R15 which I think fit on your standard wheels or 16's or 17's with a strut brace for the handling improvements
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:30   #6 (permalink)
Owned Fords all my life!

My car isn't lowered, and I still scrape the odd-gutter here or there. I think the front cowling? is already quite low, when it's standard. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2003, 13:49   #7 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

You'll find that you scrape when you're not used to the ride height, but it's amazing how your driving style seems to automatically adapt and after a while it seems that all's well again! Just a hint, if you lent the car to anyone, be sure to stress the fact that it's not at stock ride height, a mate of mine beached my car on a driveway to a gym and I had to bight my fist!!
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:10   #8 (permalink)
Livin' Ghetto Fab

Mate, Pedders will charge around $480 to lower your car. Thats everything fitted. (Springs only, no shocks)

I have a 98 Fairmont Ghia, and have lowered mine 5 1/2" at the Front, and 6" at the back. Being so low, i had to roll my guards. I am running Pedders Lowered Sports Shocks, and KMAC Springs. I used to have Pedders springs, but it wasnt low enough, so took the pedders springs out, cut a few coils off them, put them back in the car. I was happy with the ride height, so i took the springs back out of the car. Took them to KMAC, and they made me new springs, the same size as the cut pedders ones. Takes about 2 hours for them to make the springs on the spot. So, now i have non cut custom springs in the car. Wasnt too expensive either. The Custom Made springs were $400 for the 4 of them. Mind you, i installed them myself. As previously mentioned, its is a pretty straight forward process to do it yourself. Also, you get to learn about the car in the process!
If you have any other questions, feel free to mail me on droooz@bigpond.com

For pics of my car, go to www.cardomain.com/id/droooz

-DROOOZ
Old 04-04-2003, 01:39   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

DROOOZ I gotta say, that's surely the lowest E-Series I've ever seen!

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 15:40   #10 (permalink)

great looking el

thanx for responding drooz and everyone. now all i have to do is save my pennies lol.
that fairmont looks great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes