Ford Forums banner

Lowering car by myself?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Martin 
#1 ·
I remember years ago i swapped the front springs on my VL which took a few hrs and now im thinking of lowering my ED V8 ghia this weekend.
How hard is it to swap the rear springs? and from experience is it worth tackling this myself?

Ive got the spring clamps etc and im confident swapping the springs on the front should be the same as on the VL but im wary about the rear springs.

Advice?

#3 ·
When I did the rear springs on the XF it was easier than the fronts.
Support the rear of the chassis on stands and the diff/axle assembly with a trolley jack, losen the control arms, disconnect the swaybar, disconnect the watts linkage, and make sure the brake lines will not be stretched. Undo the shocks, let the jack supporting the axle down until the old springs come out, put the new springs in place, raise the axle assembly till the springs are seated and compressed enough to do everything back up and you're done.
Took me about 1/2 a day

#4 ·
You dont have to go as far as Donut King went....

Just Jack up the rear by the diff, put stands under the chassis rails, undo top shock bolt, undo bottom shock bolt then pull out shocks, lower jack until diff comes down far enough so springs can come out (you wont have to lower it all the way)

Put new springs in, install shock with the top nut going on first(you'll need a second person for this) raise diff until the bottom bolt holes in the shocks line up, tighten bolts, then lower the car.

If your confident in doing the fronts then you'll have no problem with the back ones.
Fronts take about twice as long as the backs.

Probably take around 4-5 hours for all four from start to finish, car on the ground, tools away and a beer in hand. (thats what it took me from memory)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.