Ford Forums banner

Lowering an EF

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ArT1sT 
#1 ·
Just wondering how much to lower an EF Fairmont Ghia? Do i just need king superlow spring's or do i need to replace the shocks aswell or..

#2 ·
Its not crucial to replace your shocks but if your plannin on going superlows it would be a good idea.

#3 ·
depends how good u want the ride.
if all u want is a low ride height, superlows will be fine.
if you want it to be as comfortable (or as close as possible) as it is at the moment, then replace shocks etc aswell.

#7 ·
The front suspension in the E series Falcons has non adjustable castor and camber settings. Changing your ride height dramatically changes these settings and can cause poor handling and excessive tyre wear. The castor/camber kit is fitted to the top wishbone and allows a wheel aligner to set the castor and camber up properly to suit your new ride height.
The suspension is pretty forgiving though, I had some bloody low springs in my XH ute which runs exactly the same style of front susp. I didn't fit a C/C kit and it was running some pretty serious camber, you could really see the tyres leaning in at the top. I ran it like this for a while to see how it went and then left it that way, the tyre wear wasn't an issue. Handled very nicely too.

On a side note, if you don't have a C/C kit in your E series and go somewhere for a wheel alignment, watch what you pay! The only adjustment they can make is to your toe in/out and I wouldn't be paying a fortune for such a simple adjustment.

#8 ·
fairmont1998, i'm not sure whether your saying we should install a C/C kit or that's it's unecessary because of ur XH. Sorry i'm just not very educated on the subject.

If u think i should need a C/C kit would you have an idea of price..

Also does anyone know approx how much for a set of superlow's, are they the best option for lowering my car or what else is there..

Any suggestions would be great, Cheers.

#9 ·
When I had my suspension stock and put on my 17x8.5" wheels, I needed C/C kit before i even lowered it. I killed my first set of tires that way (wearing on inside). I adjusted it to its max and still didn't do anything. It cost me $300 fitted for my new camber kit but that was about 4 yrs ago, and now I have it lowered 2" I am glad i did it earlier.
Yours is a fairmont and I think it will definitely need the C/C kit if you are going to superlows, but I do have 235R17 on mine and if your tyre is thinner it might be ok.

#10 ·
i would definantaly get a c/c kit especialy if uve also got after market bigger rims on the car....
i think its about 300 bucks or something like that and i think u need 2...
if u want to lower your car may as well spend the extra money now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.