Ford Forums banner

Lowering EF XR6 with 17inch mags

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  EL-Phat 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has experience with lowering the EF with 17 inch wheels. I have 235/45/17 Falken and am lowering it. I have been quoted $1000 for pedders springs, shocks and camber kit fitted and thought I would go that way (My car sees no track action or anything like that). A mate of mine reckons lowering it 1.5 inches but Im worried about scraping the guards, I have already had them rolled but was wondering what other people have done and how it turned out.

Tankyou

#3 ·
Andrew, I've lowered my EF Fairmont Ghia 1.5" at the front and 2" at the back and I've got 235/45/17 wheels and tyres. I haven't touched the guards and they've never scraped. The only thing I scrape is my exhaust over some speed bumps.

G
#4 ·
I've basically got the same car and setup as mangrovejack except I'm running 245/45/17's. They scrape the guards during turns with un-even surfaces. What involved in rolling the guards back and how much would it roughly cost?

#6 ·
Mangrove, What suspension setup do you have ie brand. PS, do you have a photo of your car you can send me? AndrewP@sydneycichlid.com

FairG, it cost me $50 to get em rolled. The panel beater just bends the inner lips of the wheel arches upwards, it may crack the paint but this is not seen and you can go over it with touch up to seal.

G
#7 ·
if your really worried about lowering your car on those 17"z.

Go to KMAC in Rockdale or where ever else they are or Selby Whiteline in Minto.

They do your car to the height you want, the stiffness/softness you want.

Best way, or get your guards rolled as they said.

Im runnin pedders progressive rate springs on stock rims with low profile tyres, no problems, soon to put 16's and i wouldnt have any problems with bottoming out etc :)

#9 ·
Unless you are looking to go VERY LOW, why don't you just go to your loca Ford dealer, and buy a set of EL XR springs ?

King springs loose their tension after a couple of years as do other brands, but the EL XR springs are magic. I know i've tried 3 sets.

Also, definitely spend the money & get the adjustable Koni's, that way you can set up the firmness/rebound rate the way you like.

An extra inch or so may look cooler, but handling may actualy suffer, let alone the guard scraping, bottoming out impractability side.

For better handling, get either the EL XR8 rear sway bar, or visit the WHITELINE AUTOMOTIVE site and order thier adjustable front / rear sway bar kits, not to mention their nylon camber kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.