Lowering EF XR6 with 17inch mags - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2001, 09:52   #1 (permalink)

Lowering EF XR6 with 17inch mags

I was wondering if anyone has experience with lowering the EF with 17 inch wheels. I have 235/45/17 Falken and am lowering it. I have been quoted $1000 for pedders springs, shocks and camber kit fitted and thought I would go that way (My car sees no track action or anything like that). A mate of mine reckons lowering it 1.5 inches but Im worried about scraping the guards, I have already had them rolled but was wondering what other people have done and how it turned out.

Tankyou
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2001, 21:17   #2 (permalink)
Paul

I found the Pedders a bit soft on my E.B xr8..
Old 11-18-2001, 08:57   #3 (permalink)
Black AU Fairmont Owner

Andrew, I've lowered my EF Fairmont Ghia 1.5" at the front and 2" at the back and I've got 235/45/17 wheels and tyres. I haven't touched the guards and they've never scraped. The only thing I scrape is my exhaust over some speed bumps.
mangrovejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 22:31   #4 (permalink)
FairG V8

I've basically got the same car and setup as mangrovejack except I'm running 245/45/17's. They scrape the guards during turns with un-even surfaces. What involved in rolling the guards back and how much would it roughly cost?

Old 11-21-2001, 23:42   #5 (permalink)

Mangrove, dont forget the XRs are an inch(??) lower than stock...
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 09:49   #6 (permalink)

Mangrove, What suspension setup do you have ie brand. PS, do you have a photo of your car you can send me? AndrewP@sydneycichlid.com

FairG, it cost me $50 to get em rolled. The panel beater just bends the inner lips of the wheel arches upwards, it may crack the paint but this is not seen and you can go over it with touch up to seal.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2001, 11:08   #7 (permalink)
exodius

if your really worried about lowering your car on those 17"z.

Go to KMAC in Rockdale or where ever else they are or Selby Whiteline in Minto.

They do your car to the height you want, the stiffness/softness you want.

Best way, or get your guards rolled as they said.

Im runnin pedders progressive rate springs on stock rims with low profile tyres, no problems, soon to put 16's and i wouldnt have any problems with bottoming out etc :)
Old 11-23-2001, 16:22   #8 (permalink)
V8 Wagon

I can supply the parts for around $6-700 including adjustable koni shocks and lowered king springs
Just ask XR8 chic, i fitted all of her suspension to an ED XR8
Old 11-26-2001, 04:36   #9 (permalink)

Unless you are looking to go VERY LOW, why don't you just go to your loca Ford dealer, and buy a set of EL XR springs ?

King springs loose their tension after a couple of years as do other brands, but the EL XR springs are magic. I know i've tried 3 sets.

Also, definitely spend the money & get the adjustable Koni's, that way you can set up the firmness/rebound rate the way you like.

An extra inch or so may look cooler, but handling may actualy suffer, let alone the guard scraping, bottoming out impractability side.

For better handling, get either the EL XR8 rear sway bar, or visit the WHITELINE AUTOMOTIVE site and order thier adjustable front / rear sway bar kits, not to mention their nylon camber kit.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 18:05   #10 (permalink)

What I meant was I tried 3 OTHER types of springs. Including Standard Ford, EF XR (hopless) and Kings. A friend has Pedders.

The best by far were EL XR springs, excellent
ride/handling/rebound/absorbsion.
redwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes