Lowering an IRS equipped AU - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 19:04   #1 (permalink)
.au member

Lowering an IRS equipped AU

Just wondering what special requirements (if any) there are to lower a car with IRS (AU2 Fairmont is the car). I want to retain the handling and ride quality of it but i want the car to sit at least 30-40mm lower (so 'Low' height).

So for a start, is it possible to lower the car with IRS, or is it more trouble than its worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004, 20:03   #2 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Re: Lowering an IRS equipped AU

Not a lot different from a solid rear axle lowering.

Change springs and shocks!

Fortunately the Falcon IRS is a bit smarter than the dark-sides™ so do won't end up with horrendous negative camber when you lower the car.
Old 10-19-2004, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Theres no trouble at all with lowering an IRS AU. I'm not 100% sure, but I think as it's a double wishbone design, you'll need a spring compressor to remove the strut from the rear springs just like the front. You may need a big lever bar and wedge it between the lower wisbone and the chassis in order to get the spring and shock out. But you'll probably need to do that for the front anyway. As I said before I'm not 100% sure, but I'll find out shortly when I lower my AU.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:01   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Okay, I know for certain that you'll need a spring compressor for the rear, but you won't have any trouble removing the spring/shock from the rear. Front might be a bit more difficult to remove/replace though. Also, AU IRS rear are prone to have a knocking noise, so you may need an extra washer to space out between the top of the strut and the rubber seat for the spring. Appranatly when the shock is fully released, theres a tiny bit of free play before the shock actually starts to depress, causing a "knocking" noise. All things to note. Sorry I don't want to scare you!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:46   #5 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

you sourced right Cobra...its no worries I got super low Pedder coils a few months back.
Sits great and no neg camber tyre wear and I have done a lot of k's since fitment.
I screwed my ride though, don't put on heavy duty shocks which are the Sports gas from Pedders, too hard for my liking I should have got there Comforts. Will change these soon.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:08   #6 (permalink)
Harry Be Kewell

my Ghia's scrubbing out the tyres on the back. its got superlow's. need to get it looked at. reckon there's some badarse negitive camber.
Kewell_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes