Ford Forums banner

Lowering my EF

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  VanGelder 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I'm lowering my EF shortly in step 1 of my plan to reduce it's disgusting handling. I don't want it too low where I'm scraping over everything - I'm thinking 1.5" at the front and maybe 3" at the back as it's sitting up rediculously high. Does this sound fairly proportionate ? How have you other guys lowered your cars ?

The other thing to look at is shocks. Things are really going to start adding up it I have to throw in 4 new shocks as well. One suspension place told me that there isn't a shorter shock for the back so there's no point in changing it when lowering ?? So are new shocks a must ?

There seems to be a bit of a price jump in shocks too. You pay $50-100 for Gabriels at places like supercheap but go near a suspension place and you're talking $150-300. Is there any huge downfall with the cheaper ones ? I guess it's probably better to replace them with cheaper ones than not at all (which I'm inclined to do)

I'm getting new wheels shortly, either 16's or probably 17's and I really don't want a jarring ride. So what's my best bet fellas ?!

#2 ·
Hyena said:
....step 1 of my plan to reduce it's disgusting handling....
Then change the shocks! or stop kidding yourself.

Your lowering it, why?
Because it will look better.

Your getting new wheels, why?
Because it will look better.

No one sees the shocks right! Why bother with them.

With shocks you generally get what you pay for, having said that shop around for the best deal on your chosen brand.

#3 ·
When I lowered my EF I went for Superlow XR8 springs front and rear, with brand new Monroe gas shocks. The top of the front tyres sit level with the wheel arch, and the rear sits the same with a full tank of fuel.

When it comes to shocks, like RAPTOR said, you get what you pay for.

All up mine cost me ~ $550 (King springs, Monroe Gas shocks)

Yes, it did improve the handling ALOT !

#4 ·
Raptor - I want both handling and looks. Lowering the car I kill 2 birds with one stone and get both. Down the track I want to get swaybars and the rest of the gear as well but I haven't got the cash to do it all at once.

The wheels, agreed, are largely for looks. However going to 16's from 14's in my old car made a very noticable improvement in handling. If I get the same improvement here going from 15's to 17's I'll be happy. I'm not running out to buy new wheels just yet anyway, my current tyres still have a few thousand in them.

Honer - That sounds like what I'm after. The prices I've got so far from suspension places are double that though. I assume that's just the price of the parts only ? Was this through a suspension place or your average auto shop kinda place ?
What's the difference in ride quality like ?

#5 ·
Honer - That sounds like what I'm after. The prices I've got so far from suspension places are double that though. I assume that's just the price of the parts only ? Was this through a suspension place or your average auto shop kinda place ?
What's the difference in ride quality like ?
Yup they were the prices of parts only. I lowered it myself (With the help of a mate who works for Bridgestone), it is a fairly straight forward job, just getting the car high enough is about the only problem.

Ride quality is actually alot better then I expected. It is tougher, but not the a point where you get a sore arse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.