Modern front end for an XY Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2004, 20:42   #1 (permalink)

Modern front end for an XY Falcon

I have heard that a place in Sydney (I know who they are but don't know if I'm allowed to put their name in here) offer strut front end, brake upgrade and power rack and pinion steering conversions for my xy falcon to stop it from handling like a shopping trolley.

It sounds great because it will let me put 18" chromies on her, better brakes, new unhammered extractors and best of all, because the upper control arms will be deleted, the spring towers can be cut out and plated. This will be let me change the spark plugs easily as my clevo is very knuckle unfriendly at the moment.

The thing is has anybody out there actually had it done to their car? If so is it as great as they reckon and what did it end up costing? Any input or alternative options would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to waste my cash.
Fpvbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2004, 22:24   #2 (permalink)
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh

Re: Modern front end for an XY Falcon

I can't say for sure, but I've read magazine articles of a few cars with that same mod and it's all positive.

Falcon GT Club of Australia

FPV & XR Owner's Club of Victoria

I drive, I vote and I'll go out of my way to see you out of government Mr Bracks. You lied your way into power and you lie to keep it. Enough lies!!! You're out of here!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:36   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I can't say for sure, but I've read magazine articles of a few cars with that same mod and it's all positive.
And if we read about it in a magazine it must be true? Some of these magazines articles are only scripted advertisements.

The falcon brake upgrade in one of these magazines did a before and after test. They didn't even bother to bleed the brakes before testing the factory setup, so drawing conclusions from the testing was pointless.

Speak to brake experts who build brakes for race cars. They will tell you how much flex the PBR calipers have. Ever heard of pad knock off?

If you wan't serious brakes for a falcon you have to step up to around 330mm diameter. You can't have anything smaller due to the design of the stubaxle and the mounting points. I have seen some brakes being prepared that needed 18" rims so that they would fit. These would set you back by around $5k.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
mmm...kilomawatts...aargh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I can't say for sure...
^^^^ read above

Falcon GT Club of Australia

FPV & XR Owner's Club of Victoria

I drive, I vote and I'll go out of my way to see you out of government Mr Bracks. You lied your way into power and you lie to keep it. Enough lies!!! You're out of here!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Well, I can't speak from 1st hand experience either but have spent some time talking to the guys that developed these kits and while there was some 'spin' in what they were saying it is undeniable that they know what they are talking about. Just in case your wondering, no I'm not easily talked around. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and a passion for cars, in particular their dynamic abilities, so I reckon I'm not easily fooled by a salesman's chat.

Consider what you already know,

The std setup is 60's technology. Long before radial tyres and high performance disc brakes, let alone a good understanding of what makes for good road car handling.

This kit mimics late model strut setup's. OK, struts have their comprimises but if one of your objectives is limiting body-roll then you are also minimising the most obvious compromise of camber change. In any case it's still going to better than the std setup (Shelby mod helps in this area). The brakes available are large diameter with modern caliper design and rigid mountings. The springs and shocks act over a longer stroke (not levered off the top arm) so are better able to control input from road irregularities. The steering is of a R&P design and designed to work with the strut front end or std setup and is no doubt superior to the std-up simply due to it's inherent design.

Then it comes down to cost and only you can decide if the benefits are worth it on your car for the price they are asking.
RAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:52   #6 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I'm looking at the RRS stuff for my mustang - why? cause I've seen their work on a couple of cars, and I've seen how easy it is to convert. I've also looked around, and by the time I completely rebuild my front end using decent bushes, shocks, brake discs, calipers, and various other bits and pieces, it costs a small fortune. By spending a little bit more, I get bigger, better brakes, and I also get height adjustable suspension.... I've spoken to the RRS guys at the summer nats a few years ago, and I've also spoken to my independent suspension guru, as well as comparing what they offer to what is available from the US, and at the moment, there isn't a better upgrade on the market.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:10   #7 (permalink)

confused Re: Modern front end for an XY Falcon

I have checked into the cost of this upgrade but what I was wondering is do they actually scallop and weld up the strut towers as part of the conversion or is that a job for the panelbeater on top of the original expense
Fpvbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:15   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

no the tower mods are not necessary to install the strut front end, it is an optional extra that can be performed to give more clearance around the engine if the owner wishes, so therefore it is a job for the panel beater, though they do sell kits for it to make it easier
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:10   #9 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I've just been told that there is a video on the conversion. I'm currently trying to get hold of it, or at least a copy of it.
Old 06-09-2004, 16:29   #10 (permalink)

Probably the best mustang suspension sytems on the market.

http://www.griggsracing.com/
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes