Ford Forums banner

Monroe Shockers - How much, and which springs?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DeeMan 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Fairly new to this, and am looking to replace the shockers and springs on my EFII sedan. Currently stock, but has done a lot of k's and they've never been replaced, so i'm after something newer and a bit stiffer (better ride, and a bit less spongy), without spending huge money on it...

Looking at the new Monroe GT's (with reflex technology blah blah)...

Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what these are worth each (mechanic friend will install them), and secondly, what kind of springs would match the shockers, and where and how much i'm looking at for those...

Any other suggestions/opinions will be appreciated, keeping in mind i'm on a budget, so Koni's and the like are a bit out of my range... oh, and i'm not really looking at lowering the car, so standard height would be good.
Thanks!

JD.

#2 ·
if you are after a firmer ride, the common consense is that monroe GT gas teamed with a set of 30mm lowered King Springs are the best way to go. The springs themselves are around $115 each end, shockers are roughly the same, a little more expensive for the fronts

#3 ·
Still unconvinced about lowering the vehicle...

Any inherent problems in lowering a falcon? (Asides from insurance etc).

I do like the standard ride height, and living the country, the clearance is handy at times..

Are standard height king springs still better than the ones currently on there?

#4 ·
oh yeah, ford used very soft springs as standard, i know on my falcon i can dictate the height of the ass end with one hand, If you live in the country then I suggest fitting replacement king springs and monroe GT gas shockers, should be roughly the same price as above,

#5 ·
SiX_iN_a_RoW said:
oh yeah, ford used very soft springs as standard, i know on my falcon i can dictate the height of the ass end with one hand, If you live in the country then I suggest fitting replacement king springs and monroe GT gas shockers, should be roughly the same price as above,
Sold. That's what i'm after, and the price looks good. Thanks heaps :)

#6 ·
np's I also live in the country, which is why i will only be dropping it 30mm, I will just stick to the main roads, theyre still extremely rough but i shouldnt have any dramas.

#7 ·
Ten million different opinions on this issue.

Have an EF fairmont lowered on King Springs and Konis shocks.

Rides well and no complaints. Konis are E X P E N S I V E.

Know of an EB XR6 that is superlowed on King Springs and I have an AU XR6 that is also superlowed on Kings.

Both the EB and the AU have had the original shockies 'reconditioned'. The shocks were revalved and 'cut' to suit the shortened travel of the superlow springs.

This arrangement is C H E A P E R than brand name shocks and the ride that resulted suits my driving style.

The standard lowered King springs should suit your vehicle.

Prces are going to vary but a full set (front and back) $240.00 and shockies are going to cost whatever your budget will handle.

#8 ·
Thanks again.

One more quick query - are standard height king springs likely to be firmer than the existing stock springs?

The car has done 230,000km on stock shocks and springs, with a bit of towing...

Just wondering if replacement springs are worth the effort... if they give a firmer ride, then i'll get a new set, but if there will be no real benefit, i'll leave them as is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.