the most cost effective way of lowering a car even more - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2001, 06:16   #1 (permalink)

the most cost effective way of lowering a car even more

ok, my car's lowered 2" front and back but i want another inch taken out the rear. i know i'll scrape its guts out everywhere i go but i just don't like the look of the car like this.

the current setup is koni shocks with whiteline springs. the car handles just fine, and this would be purely for the sake of aesthetics. what would be the cheapest way (considering safety and legality of it to an extent) to take another inch out the rear without buying new springs and shocks?

thanks in advance!
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2001, 06:25   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

considering legality you are probably close to or over the limit now .. not only do you have to worry about actual ride height, but if you are in vic you need to retain 2/3 or your suspension travel too.
If you got the dough, a way of making it look better without lowering it further is go up an inch or so in wheel diameter ..looks better, handles better etc etc and doesn't draw as much attention
If it;'s too low you will scrape on everything .. its your car scraping away on the road..
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:40   #3 (permalink)

Cheapest way would be a bag of cement in the boot...
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 06:42   #4 (permalink)

nah, i don't think it's illegal right now. i've seen plenty of AUs driving around and they were dumped on their ass! i don't mind stiff suspension at all! i love it! if i wanted cushy ride, i'd buy a fairlane...

so yeah, an inch HAS to go - if i get defected, i guess i'll have to bring the rear back up a bit, but i'll worry about that later on! :D
MrPlow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:35   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

put on about 80kg and that should do it!!:p :p :p
Old 10-22-2001, 16:48   #6 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

How about a pair of good ole' fashioned lowering blocks, or thickers ones if you're already using them. Not something I'd probably do though...
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 16:50   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

AU's are coil all round .. the blocks would rattle a bit :D
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 23:51   #8 (permalink)

bag of sand in boot is my thoughts too. when cops pull u over (if and when they do) just say you've got a dead body in boot and the car sits higher, but your just on your way to the bridge to throw it over.

on the other hand.. could u get your springs re sprung? lol
cobraXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 00:06   #9 (permalink)
Turbo Pilot

I'm with XA coupe, there are other things you can do to make it look low. Skirts and deep spoilers together with big wheels will make it look like a hovercraft if done right, you just need to look at the ricers to see this, or an old XY Falcon with and without the GT bib spoiler at the front. Especially if its only the look you are after. A car that is too low is a nasty thing, not only is it really annoying for scrapes and damage, but it will do HORRID things to handling if it is too low/hard and has not got enough travel in the suspension.
Old 10-23-2001, 02:04   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

ANY BODY WANT 80 kg thay can have it!!! Haha

I couldn't tell you how many time's I'v beat'n lowered cars for they have to stop to go over small bumps or full off the road, then try to race me again,mainly rice boys tho..
Agree with Aztech
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes