Ford Forums banner

New shockers for EFII, do i need new springs?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bossxr 
#1 ·
Ok, my fantastic mechanic uncle is giving me a set of Monroe GT shockers and installation for my 21st (woohoo), for my 1996 EFII Falcon.

Just wondering if i should buy new springs to go with them - currently looking @ king springs, which apparently will raise the rear about 10mm, and be standard height on the front. I don't want to lower the car - don't really want that on the insurance...

Apparently the kings are around 25% firmer, which should give a bit less body roll, and slightly better handling...

Anyway, what is everyone's opinion?

The current springs have done 230,000km, but don't seem to be sagging any. Will i have better handling with new springs, or will the rise in the rear cause handling to get worse?

Thanks!

John.

#2 ·
Changing the springs and/or shocks to aftermarket items will probably have the same effect on your insurance premium as lowering your car (which, in effect, is by changing the shocks and springs). Best you check with your insurance provider for the facts before anything else. :)

#3 ·
Nope. Replacing your springs and shockers isn't an insurance issue, only altering ride height of the vehicle. There's no obligation to use any particular brand of replacement part, as long as they meet ADR requirements for that particular vehicle. (Called QBE to ask them. They flat out told me they won't insure me if i lower the car).

Can anyone help me out?

#4 ·
If it was same ride height as an XR I can't see a problem.Springs are cheap, imo go slightly low but not supper low even std ride height the firmer springs help..Think about some polly bush's too..

#7 ·
Dakweed said:
Speaking of which, when a car is optioned with Tickford suspension, EFII to be exact, what brand are the springs and shocks??
Monroe shocks for Tickfords, not sure about spring brand though. You can't just get Tickford suspension and think that the Insurance companies see that as "Ford" std suspension - they don't, just ask them. If your car did not come straight from the factory with your desired ride height, than it is deemed to be modified regardless of brand or installer.
I wouldn't want to get the rear of the car higher than the front otherwise your handling will be all over the shop (ie read very roll oversteery) since the roll centre has been raised on the rear axle only.
Have a look at Pedders for a reasonable solution, otherwise start looking at Kings, Lovells, Bilstein & Koni for more serious mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.