No Brake Lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes Sponsored by: Discount Tire Direct

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2001, 11:00   #1 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P72 Member

confused No Brake Lights

I have a 91 Crown Vic and the brake lights don't work. The tail lights come on but not the brake lights. I changed the bulbs and still have the problem. I don't know if there is a fuse for this or not so i haven't checked that yet. If anybody has a copy of the fuse chart that would help. You can email it to me at lilthug75@aol.com. Thanks.
Mr Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2001, 23:44   #2 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

Usually there is a seperate fuse for the brake lights. Also, if the fuse is okay, you may wanna check the brakelight switch. Sometimes they will crap out on you.
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 08:00   #3 (permalink)

Where is this fuse and how do I check the brake switch.
Old 11-04-2001, 15:37   #4 (permalink)
sir john

roll

Mr. Dawg, my first time to post, so excuse if doing improper. I have a 97 Grand Marquis, so doubt if fuse chart might be same as different engine, etc than 91. Looked through two 'auto parts' manuals purchased and no help.

I would check the brake switch first, mounted on the upper area of brake pedal. May need to drop kick panel to get to. Remove the electrical plub from switch and check circuits with volt meter. If don't have one, place pig tail wire into both terminals (naturally, remove little of the insulation, first) and see if brakes lights are on with wire in place. If so, that's it! Be careful and do not ground the wire to the surrounding metal, as the brakes switch feed wire is always hot.

Since tail light and prob license lights burn, tend to think the ground wire is o k. Turn on your flasher switch and check to see if front and read lamps flashing. I think the flasher circuit by-passes the brake switch. Again, points to the Brake switch.

And tend to think the turn signals working front and rear, since no mention of they not working.

Some of these electrical problems are tough, and makes you realize a good technician is worth his money after learning his trade. And no, I ain't in the auto tech field, just a shade tree mech. and worked in son's auto garage couple years after I retired.

Check your local library and may find Chilton manuals, including wiring manuals, on shelf. Good Luck!

sir john
Old 11-04-2001, 17:58   #5 (permalink)
Mod/Crown Vic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally posted by sir john
my first time to post
Well, Welcome!

Jonathan
Old 11-04-2001, 22:54   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Sir John. I'll check that out monday morning and make a visit to the library. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 11-09-2001, 10:12   #7 (permalink)
Grand Muckety Muck

Any news?
Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 13:20   #8 (permalink)

No news yet. I been busy working and its hard for me to find any daylight hours. But I hope to get to it soon. Someone is coming to look at the car and possibly buy it this weekend so i may not be able to get to it in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes